Author Topic: Which tablet to buy  (Read 9031 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Which tablet to buy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 22:05:15 PM »
John F, if you found the Google cloud print facility too much hassle, I have no chance.  Had a chat with a guy in Currys today who reckons that as I only bought my printer in January it should be ePrint compatible if  I have WiFi network.  Will have to look and try and "get my head round it" when I go back. 

Truth be told, most of the issues I had when trying it at home was down to the printer.  If you've got a newish printer, and a local network (with internet), then Google Cloud Print should be easy enough to set up.  Plenty of tutorials on the internet, just find that talks your language, so to speak...

JF

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 22:20:27 PM »
I recently bought an LG G Pad 8". Does the job for me. I have not tried the USB but it has a mini USB which I believe I can use with an adapter.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 22:59:52 PM »
Yes Paul - one of these at £1.99 and you're off. Not for all tablets though - doesn't work on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for example. Works great on my HP Windows tablet though, one of them, one of these and a USB hard drive and there's 500 movies to watch right there   :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121047718336

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 23:25:53 PM »
If you're not in a rush, check the HP site every few days as they very often have offers where they throw in either one or two years free HP Data Pass.  Free 3G access with between 250Mb and 500Mb allowance per month, UK only I think though...

JF

Offline Marggie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
Not in a hurry John so will check HP for any offers.  I have the newish printer (January this year) and WiFi so will give Google Cloud Print a go when I get back to Turkey.

Offline rik

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 00:05:48 AM »
Hi Marggie
We've talked about tablets before. I have a Google Nexus II, which has a micro USB port. I print wirelessly to my Epson printer, but also, if you look on Youtube, you will find videos of printing from the Nexus with a Micro USB OTG cable, direct to a printer, which you can get from Amazon for as little as 99p.
You would probably need a driver or/and app from printer manufacturer.
I'm pretty sure you can also use a wireless keyboard and mouse and other things using the same cable.
The Nexus mentioned earlier from Argos is a good deal, but is the earlier model. Amazon do the Mk 2 with 16gb for £150. I've just bought one for someone else, and so far is the cheapest Mk 2 available.
Without knowing, just what you intend to use it for. The main factor may be whether a 7" tablet would serve your purpose.
I assume you're due here soon. If you haven't made a decision by the time you get here, you are more than welcome to give mine a try.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Thanks for the offer Rik and for your advice on printing.  I haven't made any decision yet but what I have established is I want and need at least a 10" tablet.  When searching for anything I like to be able to see most of the page at a glance, increasing the size and moving from one part of the page to the other is not for me....probably an age thing and also it will be the only device I'll have with me. 

At the moment the favourites are HP Pavilion 2 in 1 10.1" tablet which has a detachable keyboard, a bonus for me, and the Samsung Tab 3.

I believe I can't use Google as a search engine on the HP which presumably means I won't be able to use Google Maps or Google Translate.  I use the translate facility a lot especially when in Turkey.  Maybe someone knows of an alternative translation facility available on Windows?  The Samsung tablet will enable me to use Google as my search engine and I can buy a wireless keyboard/cover for it, they are pretty inepensive so don't know how good the keyboards are.  When doing my research o9ver the last few days I have discovered that I can get Microsoft Office free from Office Online.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
I think you will find that the Samsung will have a translator on it. it comes with the android software. I have not tried it but my LG tab has it and so does my wifes new Samsung phone.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 18:29:26 PM »
Thanks for that Bewva, I need a translator to help me with my Turkish homework.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 21:20:24 PM »
Very pleased with my Samsung tab 3 8in  Marggie, been looking for a few weeks eventually got one from Asda £139
Easy to set up (with the help of my son) It would fit in your handbag too  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf