Author Topic: Activating my email account on smart phone  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Marggie

Activating my email account on smart phone
« on: November 25, 2014, 19:10:25 PM »
Well I have finally got myself a smart phone and have customised it to suit. The last thing I had to do was activate my email account.  My broadband is supplied by Sky so I entered my username and password.  I was then asked what type of account is this?  POP3, IMAP or Exchange. Anybody able to help?  as I don't' know what they mean.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: Activating my email account on smart phone
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 19:43:08 PM »
I think you will find it is a POP3 - but didn't it set up automatically from your username and password?

This might help:

http://help.sky.com/articles/get-emails-on-your-mobile-or-tablet

Offline Marggie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 20:19:29 PM »
No it didn't.  I expected it to set up automatically when I entered my user name and password as it did when I set up my tablet.

Thanks for the link, will read and digest and see where I go from here.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 21:07:23 PM »
Had a read but when I tapped the email app as requested, I wasn't getting to "settings" as I should have been. Phoned Sky who confirmed I should choose POP3. I asked him to stay on the line in case there was any problems.  He told me they are currently working on a problem people are having accessing their emails from phones and tablets and that it was not a problem with my device. He couldn't say when it would be fixed  and suggested I try each morning and evening until I'm successful.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 21:36:41 PM »
Typical of Sky Marggie

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 21:37:34 PM »
Unless you've got an affection for Sky, or have had the email a long time, I'd recommend moving over to a Gmail or Outlook account.  Far easier to use (and set up) on smartphones & tablets.

Also means you don't lose your email address if you cancel the Sky account, or simply move broadband provider.

JF

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 22:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice.   I have no particular affection for Sky but the way we live our lives at the moment, between here and Fethiye, the package cost suits us very well.  Our line rental is with Sky, broadband is free as are evening and weekend calls. So until we spend more time in the Uk I'm reluctant to change provider.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 22:59:22 PM »
No harm in changing your email provider though...

Just a thought. 

I don't like Sky, or anything else associated with that poisonous little antipodean Murdoch.  So maybe I'm biased.

JF

Offline Marggie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 19:11:52 PM »
Now sorted thanks.  When I spoke to the guy at Sky lastnight I asked if there was anthing further I should do after selecting POP3 to which he answered "No".  Today I decided to folow Ian's link and edit the settings.  Surprise, surprise everything now okay.

Offline rik

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 00:36:01 AM »
Now sorted thanks.  When I spoke to the guy at Sky lastnight I asked if there was anthing further I should do after selecting POP3 to which he answered "No".  Today I decided to folow Ian's link and edit the settings.  Surprise, surprise everything now okay.

Hi Marggie

Sorry to poke my nose in, but I think you may not quite understand what JohnF is saying. Just because you are with Sky, you are at liberty to use other Email providers. As JohnF suggested, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo mail etc are all free, and worth having more than one, as back up. They can be accessed anytime anywhere from any internet source with no fuss. Unless you have a specific need for pop3, it's pretty old hat now, and for most people the benefits are very few.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf