Author Topic: Visitors up, down or the same to Turkey in 2015  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Visitors up, down or the same to Turkey in 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
The one thing that would put the tourists off is the cost of flights to Turkey, they are ridiculous.   
I was looking at flights for the two of us from Glasgow in September and it came up with over £1,000.
just for two flights.  We could go to the States for less than this.   >:( :o :'(

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
A friend came round for coffee yesterday he owns a very nice boutique hotel in calis, when i asked about this season he said their numbers are down by 10% this season they only have brits there ,he is used by thompson travel.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
Thomson's will be pushing their new Sensatori Resort where they can make a lot of money from their 5 Star price bookings.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
The one thing that would put the tourists off is the cost of flights to Turkey, they are ridiculous.   
I was looking at flights for the two of us from Glasgow in September and it came up with over £1,000.
just for two flights.  We could go to the States for less than this.   >:( :o :'(

Not sure what "it" is, but more tangible sources like Skyscanner have returns for £250ish PP.  The most expensive flight with Jet2 only comes to £310 PP and Easyjet from Edinburgh is the same - and both have considerably cheaper flight combinations depending on dates.

Scaremongering.com

JF

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 14:24:56 PM »
Normally I book a year in advance but due to a friend booking a few days before we flew last year and getting her flights for half the price we paid I thought I would give it a go, so I have been watching the flight prices for May the 16th-24th fluctuate quite a lot for instance around about December out bound flight from Manchester £112 February the same flight £178 the same flight now £122 but the inbound flights have stayed quite low most carriers have them between £45 and  £60. so today I saw Easy Jet inbound (24th) £28  so I have booked them now just waiting for out bound to drop below £100 and I will hopefully bag a bargain just for reference I normally pay between £240-£280 per return flight

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 15:36:16 PM »

Not sure what "it" is, but more tangible sources like Skyscanner have returns for £250ish PP.  The most expensive flight with Jet2 only comes to £310 PP and Easyjet from Edinburgh is the same - and both have considerably cheaper flight combinations depending on dates.

Scaremongering.com

JF

O.K. it was Thomson's and was a grand.   The problem with Skyscanner is they find lots of flights but only one or two that are direct.  We don't want to change planes and spend up to  14 hours travelling.   I just checked Skyscanner, there is only one direct flight advertised for September, it is Easyjet from Glasgow.  Cost for us with two cases is £752.00 and this is without booking seats, paying diesel to Glasgow, finding somewhere to park the car etc., 

Know what I am talking about .com

JH.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 16:33:28 PM »
Not sure you do know what you are talking about...

You can select "direct only" flights on Skyscanner and as of two minutes ago there were plenty of Jet2 and TC flights direct available on various dates.  In fact, if you go the Jet2 site the most expensive return (i.e. choosing the highest individual inbound/outbound flights) is £310 with the cheapest being £184.

Oh and Easyjet don't fly to Dalaman from Glasgow, only from Edinburgh.

confused.com?

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 16:37:16 PM »
Having tried a holiday in The Eurozone this year and at The exchange rate the Euro is at at the moment I think that quite a few more people will be avoiding Turkey this year.. Flights are considerably cheaper and so is eating and drinking... We have booked two holidays in Calis for this year but are giving it a miss next year...
I have lost count of how many people who know we lived in Turkey saying " ooh it is too dangerous now"  We are continually telling people who have never been and can't understand us going to Turkey at all, that Syria and Iraq are no where near Calis.
The problem being that people perceive it to not be safe now....

Offline Pussinboots

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 16:43:09 PM »
I have virtually given up on Charter flights now. They are uncomfortable,over priced and take at least a day to recover..  A scheduled TA flight  Birmingham to Dalaman via Istanbul cost me less than £200 which includes Food and luggage.  Add on 2 nights in a nice hotel ( which is part of the Holiday) and taxi fares it works out at well under £300.

In my case I'd rather be the Tortoise than the Hare.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 17:23:01 PM »
Here we are with the old flight lottery thread again so I will add my tuppence.It all depends where you want to fly from and when.The Northern and Scottish airports have less flights more surcharges and are usually much more expensive than Midlands or South East.Lots of the scheduled flights are cheaper during the week and at odd hours but if you still work and are stuck to flying at a reasonable time on a weekend again the prices are premium.I have been flying to Dalaman for ten years now,predominantly from Newcastle but a couple of times in the winter we had to go from Manchester.If I can get a return flight ,no prebooked seats,no meals,1 bag for £300 Iam happy.Never had any luck with Skyscanner,Fly Thomas Cook always come out on top ,mind you there's only Jet 2 to compete against from Newcastle and they are more expensive unless as I say you go weekdays.So we are stuck at present with a somewhat Hobson's choice .
In 21 months when we retire we will travel as and when and from where we please as we will have so much more time.We might even drive or take the train,take that much promised detour to Istanbul etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf