Author Topic: Holiday Cost: Turkey v Elsewhere  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Holiday Cost: Turkey v Elsewhere
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
With a number of people comparing holidaying in Turkey with other European destinations - as alternative choice or for second holiday - I thought I'd put in some costs for Turkey v Portugal. These are based on our June 2016 holiday in Turkey and Sept 2016 in Estoril near Lisbon. Estoril is described "An exclusive resort town long recognized for attracting royalty" (Tripadvisor) so I was expecting some high prices.

Flights from Bristol
Turkey = £811; Portugal = £266.

Accommodation
Turkey {ApartOtel suite} = night £35; fortnight £490.
Portugal {3* Hotel} = night £52; fortnight £732.

TOTAL so far Turkey = £1301 Portugal = £998.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Holiday Cost: Turkey v Elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »
Very interesting Colwyn.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 16:27:22 PM »
I hope you enjoy Estoril, its an area we've spent a fair bit of time in.  More so Cascais than Estoril itself as most of our friends live there, its not quite as expensive as Estoril.

Easy to get to Lisbon, frequent and quick trains straight to Cais de Sodre station cost just over €4 return.  Last train back down the line is 1:30 or 2:00am so perfect if you want to head out for a night in the Barrio Alto!

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 18:39:19 PM »
Yes but how much is Efes in Portugal?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 18:43:18 PM »
Thanks John, yes we are looking forward to promenading down to Cascais. I went to a conference in Lisbon and, despite disliking most capital cities, found it a very pleasant place so we intend spending a couple of days there. One day site-seeing - going up by antique tram to the castle and then down again and across the centre to go up by the extraordinary street elevator to the hilltop suburb (the name of which escapes me for the moment). Another day I think Hilary will fill with visits to art galleries. I thought we would bus it up to, and around, Sintra as well on another day. I am surprised no-one is surprised at me visiting a place variously described as "exclusive", "stylish" and "classy". Naturally Hilary will meld in effortlessly; I may need to up my game a notch or two.

P.S. UBT would be clearly out of place in such a classy place. Efes indeed! I shall be drinking tankards of red wine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 18:54:23 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 18:56:13 PM »
[Sorry. Mistake].

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 20:21:24 PM »
When I passed through customs when leaving Portugal they confiscated my fortified wine. I thought,great. I've been deported.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 20:44:23 PM »
I've just  booked a week in Faro, Portugal in March next year. Flights, hotel etc. at very attractive prices.

Nothing will stop me from coming back to Fethiye but the comparative costs are now noticeably different.

Portugal's flight prices, eating out prices, car hire - all the usual stuff; Turkey used to be so much cheaper than the western European holiday spots.

It's no longer that way, despite the favorable exchange rates.

It's Scunner's "damn you Calis" feelings that prevail - I'd miss the place too much not to visit every September........

However, any consideration of buying a second home there is very much on the "back burner".

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 21:02:50 PM »
I've just  booked a week in Faro, Portugal in March next year. Flights, hotel etc. at very attractive prices.

Nothing will stop me from coming back to Fethiye but the comparative costs are now noticeably different.

However, any consideration of buying a second home there is very much on the "back burner".

This is what worries me most about the future of Calis. Those with properties are probably wondering whether to sell up and get out and those thinking of buying are having second thoughts.

The future looks very precarious especially for the those hoping to make a living from the tourist.  :( ??? :( :(

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 21:17:17 PM »
Spent a week in Lisbon in September. It was fabulous and so cheap. Had to buy another suitcase to take home all my port lol.  It has great winter temperatures too

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf