Author Topic: Attack at Istanbul Ataturk Airport  (Read 8280 times)

Offline Dutchie

Re: Attack at Istanbul Ataturk Airport
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
No checks on those but that is an outside area. They can't check every person/vehicle/luggage entering the airport area. That is mission impossible.
And why should they? And what would be next?

In Turkey there are already checks before you enter a shopping centre, train station, museums, etc.

In Holland, we don't have those kinds of checks. You can enter any airport without going through security. Schiphol airport is even designed to attract non-travellers just for shopping and dining.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
Death toll has risen to 41.

Horrendous, simply horrendous.

R.I.P all. :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
Yes thrre appears to be the usual amount of BBC 'sniffy' reports about airport security in Turkey, and in some extent they are right and the security people could do more, but for all their faults they are still more secure than any British airport!

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
There is some news about the policeman who shot the terrorist.

According to the news report, he first shot him in his leg and then in his abdomen and arm.
When he noticed the man was going to detonate the bomb, he ran off but got hit by two pieces of shrapnel in his spleen.

His spleen has been removed during surgery and the policeman is out of danger.

A list with names of victims has been published. Excluding the terrorists, 39 people dead of which 13 foreigners (5 with dual citizenship) from Saudi, Iran, Jordan, Ozbekistan, Tunesia, Irak and Ukrayne.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 14:33:01 PM »
I agree Dutchie i would much rather travel through a Turkish Airport than UK. No security checks until after check in! If i wanted to blow the place up I've already done it prior to check in. In Manchester Airport i finally saw two policemen by the duty free shop.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 17:09:28 PM »
Condolences to all the families of the people whose lives were lost in this awful attack.

Thank you to all the security staff who are risking their lives trying to protect travellers at the airport. They are working daily with danger in their workplace. Apparently the policeman who shot one of the terrorists has had to have his spleen removed. Hopefully he is out of danger but he was very brave and I hope he is shown the gratitude he deserves.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 17:59:53 PM »
A combination of a dead cell phone battery and then a social media blackout gave us an uncomfortable few hours until we made contact with a friend who was scheduled to arrive at Ataturk last night.  Like the Istiklal bomb, this is one that shook me a bit - I travel through Ataturk regularly and couldn't count how many times I've hung about the arrivals area either having a post flight smoke (yeah, yeah) or waiting for the Havas.

As for anyone suggesting that the authorities could have done more in respect of security, that's complete bollox.  Ataturk is a major international hub with tens of thousands of folks going through it every day.  Some arrive by metro, some by Havas but a good number arrive by taxi/private car - if you've ever travelled to the airport via the E5 you'll know the volume of traffic arriving every hour.  How are the authorities meant to secure a such busy airport without making it grind to a halt?  There has to be a balance and any regular visitor to Ataturk can testify to the amount of security thats been in place for the past nine months or so.

In fact, it is likely that due to the level of security two of these scumbags had to detonate themselves outside the terminal - the one who did make it inside was shot by a Polis.

Post Lockerbie the security at Heathrow was increased substantially and it is acknowledged now that the queues of folks waiting to get in to the airport would present this type of terrorist with a far better target - more bodies concentrated in one area.

Another sad day for Turkey.

JF

Edit: Just seen this on BBC re airport security, funnily enough they cite Heathrow as well.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 19:10:15 PM »
The red line denotes (roughly) the area of Glasgow Airport where anyone can freely walk about without having had any security checks carried out on them.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »
More details are coming out related to the attack.

An undercover policeman notices a man wearing a winter jacket in summer and informs his colleague by whatsapp.
They assume he's a thief and decide to follow him whilst he makes his way to international departures.
Before the terrorist enters the building, policeman stops him and asks for his id.
The terrorist pretends to get his id from his bag but pulls out a gun and shoots the policeman three times.
The terrorist then runs off downstairs to the international arrival area and explodes himself near the taxi rank.
The policeman died in hospital :(

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
Too bad I can't edit my previous post otherwise I would have added it there (not sure if anybody is interested in the story anyway) but here it goes:

Three men took a taxi to the airport. According to the taxi driver they spoke a foreign language which wasn't arabic.
They were dressed normal. They were carrying small backpacks and one suitcase.

Upon arrival at the airport, they went to the side and dressed up with vests and jackets and started to make their way. One towards the car park, one towards international arrivals and one towards international departures. A car park attendant sees the men and informs the police about their winter clothes.

As written above, an undercover policeman stops the terrorist on his way to departures who ends up exploding himself near the taxi rank where quite a lot of staff were waiting for the service buses to take them home so therefore a lot of victims.

The second terrorist makes his way from the car park into departures and enters the building shooting. There is xray check at the entrance but the staff there is not armed so they can't stop him. He shoots his way up till the passport control where he meets a policeman whom he shoots in the abdomen. The policeman shoots the terrorists three times and when he realizes he is a suicide bomber, he warns the bystanders and hides behind a pillar himself. The terrorist explodes himself but according to the newspaper, nobody got killed during the blast and not even during his shooting spree. 

Terrorist number 3 shoots his way through the staff entrance at the arrival lounge. People are trying to run out of the building and become an easy target for him since he is waiting for them. He doesn't get far inside the building and gets shot by a customs officer. He falls on the ground and detonates himself. The customs officer died in the blast.

It appears that terrorist no 2 who went into the building the furthest caused lots of injuries but nothing fatal.

Most fatalities were outside near the taxi rank.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf