Author Topic: Disgraceful, simply disgraceful  (Read 4715 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Disgraceful, simply disgraceful
« on: November 18, 2016, 14:26:37 PM »
"Men guilty of sexually abuse may avoid being prosecuted if they marry the victim, according to a controversial motion proposed by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) that has been harshly criticized by opposition parties.

In the case of sexual abuse committed before Nov. 11, if the perpetrator marries the victim “without force or threat,” the sentence will be postponed, according to the motion."

But hang on a sec, this apparently makes it all fine:

"Minister Bozdağ slammed criticisms, arguing that the motion is valid only for verdicts given before Nov. 11 and will not be applicable in the future.

“It is a temporary regulation and it will be put into force only one time retrospectively,” he told reporters on Nov. 18, adding that there are around 3,000 people in jail that will be released with this regulation. "

Great, so the right to grow up unmolested or raped for young women/children in Turkey has just taken a further step into the dark ages.

Attitudes like this amongst law makers, who are supposed to protect the most vulnerable in society, make me so angry.

But hey ho, it free up 3,000 prison beds for a few more academics, journalists and folks who's face or views simply don't fit.

More at: HDN but not a cheep on any pro gov outlets.

Wouldn't it be nice, just for one day, to have some positive news coming out of Turkey?  But then again, to some, this is a positive story I suppose.

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Disgraceful, simply disgraceful
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 16:00:58 PM »

It's actions such as these that fuel peoples perception of Turkey being a third world country.

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 17:35:39 PM »
Unfortunately Turkey is fast becoming a third world country. Every day it slips further and further backwards.  And with these people and their thinking in charge it is going to get a lot worse.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 17:42:42 PM »
What the AKP are doing is horrible. But it may be an insult to describe the country as "Third World" on the basis of this. I think there are many countries that can be classified as Third World that are economically undeveloped in comparison with Turkey but that have a better system of values.

Offline lissa

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 18:13:33 PM »
Absolutely appalling. And I think that countries who do not have a good system of values will be classed as third world, and maybe rightly so. It is not down to just economics surely.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 18:24:41 PM »
The origin of the term "Third World" was in the Cold War. There were, from the Western point of view, three elements to the international spectrum: First World = the West; the Second World = USSR & associated communist states; the Third World = everybody else. Since then the meaning of the term may have changed. Perhaps I was wrong to privilege the economic connotations of modern usage over the moral ones. The point I wanted to make was that just because we despair at the moral degradation of the Turkish Government we shouldn't be saying that Turkey is like lots of other countries - many of whom may be better.

Offline peter e golden

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
Simply shocked and horrified. It seems the world is going backwards with Trump as the head of the snake

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »
Since then the meaning of the term may have changed.

I think it has.  In common usage it appears to be a pejorative term for any country that falls short of the standards expected (economically, politically, socially etc) by the user of the phrase.  From the state of public toilets to the level of human rights abuse and all points in between.

Funnily enough, Serkan Demirtaş from the HDN asked his readers a question last week, "Does Turkey want to be a third-world country?".  Taking that title in context with his article, maybe I should educate him as to the correct usage of the term "third world country"?

I've noticed that the original subject here is now being picked up by main stream media outside Turkey.  Its interesting to see the different approaches in reporting. 

There also may be a bit of a family tiff on the horizon - the wee fella's youngest daughter's pet project have weighed in to the media frenzy with a fairly strong (by their standards) statement:

The pro-government Women’s and Democracy Association (Kadem), whose deputy chairman is Erdoğan’s younger daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan Bayraktar, said one of the biggest problems of the bill would be proving what constituted force or consent. “How can the ‘own will’ of such a young girl be identified?” it asked. “We would like to draw attention to issues that might arise in case of it coming into force.”

I suspect it wont be long before they shut up and follow the party line, more's the pity.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
a pejorative term for any country that falls short of the standards expected (economically, politically, socially etc)
A dozen years ago Turkey would have rated reasonably well; it is now sinking, day after day, on all fronts.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »

A few months ago the country's top religious leader stated that Turkish menfolk should not hit women hard

enough to cause serious injuries.I would assume black eyes, broken noses, cracked ribs, cuts and abrasions

ect are all ok.? Are those the actions of a progressive leader.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf