Author Topic: Getting a landline and ADSL  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Carolyn1957

Getting a landline and ADSL
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 15:29:49 PM »
An update -

Firstly, thank you all for your help and advice.

We went along to Turk Telecom yesterday and filled in the forms (or as much as we could) for telephone and internet. The girl we saw was very helpful and filled in the gaps. She didn't want to see our Tapu but did want a tax number as well as the Residency permit and YKN. Something she did ask for that nearly tripped us up was a landline number for a neighbour! She accepted the landline number of an English friend who lives a little way away. She checked the number on computer and then just scribbled it out. She said engineers would bring the phone line to the property tomorrow (today) and internet would be turned on tomorrow. She gave us the modem to bring with us.
Not long after we'd got back home to Kemer yesterday afternoon I had a call on my mobile to say the engineers were on their way. The line was connected to the pole/and into the house mid afternoon.
The electrician we always use came along at 8 am today and connected the telephone and the modem. No charge! The phone line was active immediately. An hour later the internet was on.
I'm still reeling from the shock of such brilliant service - even though we were out of contract with BT we had to pay £60 to get our broadband "turned off" at the exchange and a friend of mine has just been quoted £130 by BT to move a socket from one room to another!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 16:56:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn1957

a friend of mine has just been quoted £130 by BT to move a socket from one room to another!

When I was a fresh faced lad working for the Post Office telephones, it used to cost £12 to shift a phone or socket[^]

Although BT has always charged to move cables and sockets etc. BT Openreach now has a license to print money for this type of work, whether they are doing the work for BT Retail or any other Communication Provider(CP).  In most cases the CP doesn't even add anything on to the already high Openreach charge.  And best of it is if the customer moans about the charges, the moaning and complaining is made to the Communication Provider, not Openreach who take the money from the CP and don't even blush!!:-\

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 17:19:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn1957

An update -

Firstly, thank you all for your help and advice.

We went along to Turk Telecom yesterday and filled in the forms (or as much as we could) for telephone and internet. The girl we saw was very helpful and filled in the gaps. She didn't want to see our Tapu but did want a tax number as well as the Residency permit and YKN. Something she did ask for that nearly tripped us up was a landline number for a neighbour! She accepted the landline number of an English friend who lives a little way away. She checked the number on computer and then just scribbled it out. She said engineers would bring the phone line to the property tomorrow (today) and internet would be turned on tomorrow. She gave us the modem to bring with us.
Not long after we'd got back home to Kemer yesterday afternoon I had a call on my mobile to say the engineers were on their way. The line was connected to the pole/and into the house mid afternoon.
The electrician we always use came along at 8 am today and connected the telephone and the modem. No charge! The phone line was active immediately. An hour later the internet was on.
I'm still reeling from the shock of such brilliant service - even though we were out of contract with BT we had to pay £60 to get our broadband "turned off" at the exchange and a friend of mine has just been quoted £130 by BT to move a socket from one room to another!

Thats good news some things are so easy here, when I said you needed a copy of your Tapu I was not sure if you did, but did't want you to travel all that way and then be asked for it
Mark

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 18:40:42 PM »
Can you provide any costs incurred to get this service set up please, it's something I'm considering for September, also is there a minimum contract length, thanks.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 19:24:06 PM »
That's fine Mark - I'd rather take too much than too little! We took a couple of utility bills and a driving licence for additional photo id, just in case. You never know which way the wind is blowing - tomorrow someone might need all the above plus inside leg measurement!

The one off set up charge is 7.62 TL which will be added to our first bill on 15 August. We had set off with cash expecting to pay installation charges etc so were pleasantly surprised.

We opted for the Advantaj 100 phone option which costs 19.90TL a month, all taxes included. This includes 100 minutes of local and national calls. Calls to GEP phones are charged at 9.3 krs per minute and international calls cost 13.2 krs per minute.

For the internet we have a two yearly contract. For the first year it will cost 39 TL a month for unlimited (reasonable use) downloads. In the second year it goes up to 54.9 TL a month. Plus 2 TL a month for the modem. I am pleasantly surprised at the internet speed here in Kemer.

I am still amazed at the speed and simplicity of it all!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 21:35:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Can you provide any costs incurred to get this service set up please, it's something I'm considering for September, also is there a minimum contract length, thanks.

It was a minimum of 2 years for the internet, when I was Karaokemark's "friend" back in April  ;)

The main starter though is having residency, or a very good friend, who is prepared to trust you to pay the bills that are in their name. Afer all, they'll end up either with a visit from the baliffs or a room at the Fethiye "Intercontinental" & not you if you don't cough up  :o

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
Thanks both, I'm out for an 8 month trial to begin with so will investigate other options, anyone got experience of how well Dongles work in Calis?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 13:46:05 PM »
quote:

Thanks both, I'm out for an 8 month trial to begin with so will investigate other options, anyone got experience of how well Dongles work in Calis?

Mine works OK in Calis (not as well as Ovacik) but more than OK for average use.  As with all mobiles/dongles try to avoid using inside a concrete and steel building - like most houses in Calis!!  My service provider is Turkcell, and you can pay - I think this is right - 29TL for 4GB usable over a month, or 1GB for 11 TL usable over a week.  The cost of the dongle itself - including sim card - is about 89TL.

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 14:09:13 PM »
I had been using a Turkcell dongle here in Kemer. I think you'll find it costs 39TL for the 4gb top up, I'm not sure about the cost of 1gb. It worked very well and the speed was good but I was getting through the gbs a bit too quickly for my liking!

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 20:43:33 PM »
quote:

I used a Vodaphone dongle for the last couple of year - it was OK - very seldom dropped the signal, prices were much as the other replies at around 35-40 Lira a month, speed was fast enough for most things, only downside was when attaching a file to an email - that was mega slow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf