Author Topic: Kindle and UK mobile - passport and password demanded 4 wifi  (Read 4973 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Kindle and UK mobile - passport and password demanded 4 wifi
« on: April 20, 2013, 00:20:12 AM »
I'm just flagging this up as we had some one in the other day who and I quote direct from the topic on the TA Fethiye Forum

"When trying to connect my Kindle to the wifi in various restaurants (Bogazici, Address, Mozaik Bahçe, etc) I found that as a foreign national I was asked (on the screen of the Kindle) for my passport number and password".

His wife had a Kindle Fire - same problem in all places. A friend of ours was in today and he had the same situation on his UK mobile but when he tried the password the second time he was connected.

As far as we know most people are connecting straight away but I wondered if anyone can shed any light on this; it hasn't happened in previous years as far as we know...

Offline moonfleet

Re: Kindle and UK mobile - passport and password demanded 4 wifi
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 05:47:40 AM »
Thats the wifi not the Kindle I recon

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 06:47:52 AM »
I'm not saying this is what happened but it is something to be aware of.  The 'free wifi' name could be any name the scammer chooses.

http://www.cba.ca/en/consumer-information/42-safeguarding-your-money/545-wifi-hotspot-scam

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
It is not the wifi - we have a password like anywhere else and that is all.

It is the device and ones not bought in Turkey.

The information Eric has posted is useful reading; thanks.

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
I can confirm that it has not happened in previous years as I used the same kindle in Kas last year. I also tried putting in my passport number as requested (albeit with one digit wrong) but could not connect, I tried many times at various locations.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 13:07:59 PM »
I connected my phone to Wifi in many places the other week (including Mazaik Bahce) without the need for passport no.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 19:16:39 PM »
I have copy and pasted this answer direct from the TA forum posted by an Istanbul destination expert

" It is the new rules instituted by the Turkish government in their moves to against terrorism and criminal acts. They want know who is right at that location, supplying the WiFi, at that particular time. These rules are being established all over US and EU also. Turkish citizens are asked their nationality ID numbers. The password is for the local WiFi and is supplied by the hotel. So this is one of the ways that Big Brother is watching you!"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298031-i1222-k6399354-Wi_fi-Fethiye_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html#48993335

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 19:23:31 PM »
Nichola - on the very odd occasions that the internet fails here, I sometimes get TTNET's log on page coming up, and it may be possible that that is what they are seeing, and if their machine auto translates the user name request can come up as passport rather than password.

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
The screen that came up wanted both passport number and password which suggested to me the requirement to pre-register with the wi-fi provider but as I said no one I asked had any idea.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Kindle and UK mobile - passport and password demanded 4 wifi
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
Time to add my passport number into my mobile somewhere - just in case  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf