Author Topic: Well, we did it ......  (Read 57131 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: Well, we did it ......
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2015, 18:40:30 PM »
As long as it's not a 'red back spider' such as we have in Oz: v dangerous, you would not want to be bitten by one :'(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:13 AM »
My nephew, Xavi is loving it.

So far he has adopted the tortoise that ambles outside our gate, called him Terry and feeds him strawberries.

He feeds our neighbour's goats with left over salad, veggie peelings and bread and it is quite the sight to see them come galloping from the top of the field down to our wall when they see him.

The red button spider lives in a hole between the terrace and the step and pops out to see us every now and again. Xavi has found innumerable creatures and particularly enjoyed chasing the cockroaches that were scuttling around the path next to the beach at Olu.

He loved the goriness of a blood splattered beheaded snake on the lane and has been enjoying lying in wait listening to the wild boar snuffle and tug up roots over our wall. They remain elusive to the eyes so far but a distinct piggy whiff caught our nostrils and caused much silent face pulling and gurning.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2015, 14:16:35 PM »
You're living in a regular wild-life park - but it's the real thing! Not so keen on the snakes and spiders though :(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2015, 18:08:29 PM »
Forget double parking. Turkey does triple parking. Sometimes it's even quadruple parking which blocks the traffic, especially outside bread shops at 5.30pm.

'No u-turns' sign at the lights? Hahahahahahaha.

No overtaking double lines on the downhill side of the main road from Ovacik to Fethiye? (Or 'The Road of Doom' as I call it) You really are 'aving a larf, guvnor!

How fast can you pack your shopping into the carrier bags at the supermarket checkout before the next person's shopping is rolled down it? NOT FAST ENOUGH!

'Do you have any *insert whatever*?' you ask in the shop. No reply. Shopkeeper looks at you. You ask again this time in strained Turkish. He says nothing. That's because he almost impercetibly moved his eyebrows half a milimetre upwards. This is the unspoken Turkish for 'Yok' (no). You missed it though and left the shop feeling invisible.

I have had to get out of my car nearly every day to move the tortoise that insists on sunbathing right outside the drive gate just as I want to drive somewhere.

I have also learnt to swear in the same tone and language my neighbour uses when she is herding her goats. This is usually to get the very same goats out of my garden and down from my olive trees. And I have given up trying to trail the wisteria down the outside of my wall as it is obviously the goat equivalent of crack.
I have also stopped being helpful and pretending I'm all rural like. Apparently the 2 baby goats bleating outside the closed fence gate, which is just at the end of my drive, and that I shushed into the paddock after opening the gate, were not in fact my neighbours goats. The chap who owned the goats was taking them and the rest of his herd for a walk but was having a nap under a tree on the lane round the corner. He accused my neighbour of trying to steal them. Apparently there has been a feud between these families for many years but relations were improving .....
This happened a several weeks past and I only found out about it 3 days ago. My continuing efforts to confess, apologise and make up for my yabanciness are pitiful and cringeworthy.

The pavements are not meant for pedestrians. They are for tea house tables and chairs, directly-planted-in-the-middle-of-the-path trees and lamp posts and scooters.

Tarpaulined markets in the heat. Not recommended. Tarpaulined markets in the rain. Not recommended. Attending at either time will get you wet.
Although sitting in a gozleme cafe on a very rainy Tuesday Market day and watching your fellow shoppers partake unwittingly in Turkish Roulette is rather entertaining. Will it be the woman with the black headscarf who gets totally drenched when the awning can no longer hold the rainwater? Or that imperious looking fellow in a suit and holding prayer beads?

Pollen. On the windows. On the terrace. On the table and chairs. On the surface of the pool. On the sea in the harbour forming a scum. On my car EVERY DAY.

Dust. See above.

Insects as large as a toddler's hand. Freaky as hell looking insects. Insects you can HEAR landing. Insects you can hear flying towards you from many meters away. Insects that bite and sting and keep you awake at night as you scratch your skin off.

I will counteract these moany observations in my next post.   :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2015, 18:32:18 PM »
About blooming time too!!   
Worth the wait - giggled out loud about the goats!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2015, 16:48:40 PM »
Thanks, Menthol! I read your blog out loud to my OH whose hearing is not the best. All the people in the Angel loved it!

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Just seen! Just read!  Brilliant! So pleased you finally chose Ovacik. Our 13th year part timers am sure you will enjoy all as we have and still do! Best wishes Menthol and TA   ;D  8)

Alan & Pauline

Offline Menthol

« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2015, 19:32:18 PM »
Thank you very much, Alan and Pauline.

We love it here so much. The views are to die for. :D

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2015, 19:46:27 PM »
Love your story Menthol and love hearing a success story of moving to Turkey, wishing you all the very best for your future lives there x

Offline Menthol

« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2015, 20:00:40 PM »
Thank you, echogirl   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf