Author Topic: Zakum Restaurant  (Read 5285 times)

Offline tonysue

Re: Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »
As a frequent visitor to the zakkum I would like to make a few points. The usual waiters Hussain and Aladin are amongst the best attentive hard working waiters in the area, sadly since aladin left for pastures new there has been a decline in the standard and the speed of service and the owner needs to find a replacement before it slips any further.
The food is good value but at busy times you can expect a wait, I have been in restaurants this week in calis and have walked out after 2 and a half hours having had my meal which was mediocre at best, expensive and the restaurant has not been busy. There is no excuse for that so if you have waited too long let the management know. I wont name and shame, I just wont give them my cash again. We were in the zakkum 2 weeks ago for the wednesday night quiz and the service was dire, so much so we left without eating but the chef had walked out that day and there were 13 quiz teams all arriving between 7 and half past wanting food. Pam was in the kitchen doing her best , even the owners wife was peeling spuds for chips. We will be going back again tonight because we reckon 1 bad experience in 3 years to be pretty good on the whole. Music quiz is held on tuesday afternoons and has to be heared, although the quiz master could make it easier!!
Being a lady?? I cant comment on the gents and I may be wrong but I dont think the toilets belong to the zakkum, rather the council as it is a cay garden.  They are  usually clean although the paper and soap runs out as in other restaurant and as least there is more than 1 cubicle, it drives me mad when in some places the only ladies loo is occupied by a man who has not had the courtesy to lift the seat before going about the job in hand.
I must also point out the management does a lot to support the local charities hosting special events and a lot of money has been raised at the zakkum in recent years. This would not have been possible without a great deal of effort

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 21:01:44 PM »
I have to comment here - people are letting us know about the service, both good and bad, that they have received.  I see no reason to doubt them and personally I would balance the good with the not so good when deciding if I wanted to visit. 
What would put me off visiting is Pamperi's response.  I agree a couple of posts appear to be critical of her service and in her shoes, I too would want to respond but perhaps acknowledging some were not happy about the service and looking at ways of improving would be a better idea -
Having read how some very successful local businesses  respond graciously to complaints or criticism on for example on Trip Advisor, it would make me more comfortable about visiting again knowing they would try their best to please.

Offline Stargazer

• Newly Registered
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 21:41:39 PM »
Spent yesterday afternoon at the Zakkum. It was quite busy with a birthday party and what looked like a few regulars. We were told that there was a new chef with some new helpers. Must admit the food looked very good. We were still there when a quiz started and some of the quiz teams were having fish and chips which looked very nice. Maybe the changes are for the better.

Offline hot in turkey

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 18:09:40 PM »
Good on ya Pam (have your say), you've had it hard there for a couple of months now with the staff problems as they have been.
Typical of this time of year I think with the existing staff seeing the bright lights of tourism and better pay, shame they don't see far enough to figure "I will be out of work by the end of the season" or "Will I get paid at the end of the season.
The old chef had been a pain for two months now with threats to leave or "put my pay up" (while his food was getting worse), I believe he did get a pay increase, even after that he still did a runner - about time he left, staff like that can kill a business.
I found out he came back a few days later "can I have my job back", he didn't get the one he was promised ;D
The new chef looks right, usually in whites, I've had her food three time so far and also heard from others how much it has changed for the better, she also live local to Zaks (married) so I guess wouldn't consider running to a job with free Accom in tourism.
Was in there last night (Turk Night) a new waiter had just started and looked to be trying hard, must have been 60 people in there (about 30 eating) and no sign of any service problems that I saw.
Looking like its finally got over the staff problems of recent.
Keep up the good work Zakkum, or should that be "Zakkum staff"
Dem Boy

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 18:15:48 PM »
I really do understand that staff problems can be at the heart of the problem but when you have unhappy customers (even just a few) isn't it better to suggest what you will do to make a more enjoyable experience for them rather than going on the defensive or into detail on why it went wrong?

Offline hot in turkey

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 20:05:48 PM »
Sorry bluwise, think you misunderstood my post "when you have unhappy customers (even just a few) isn't it better to suggest what you will do to make a more enjoyable experience for them rather than going on the defensive" it's nothing to do with me, just a customer who goes in a couple of times a week.
If you are referring to Pams earlier post, I believe she was justified, defending comments about her,  is it really her place to say how she can improve things? Remember she only works there trying to make the best that bad situation, you can bet she hasn't been happy having to cope with the staff shortages, but the comments here must make her even happier!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf