Author Topic: Aloe Vera  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Phil

Aloe Vera
« on: September 07, 2016, 17:10:45 PM »
On a recent family holiday in Malta my eldest son was eaten alive by mosquitoes one night.

The Maltese mosquitoes must come from a different tribe because our usual remedy of Fenistil Gel (which we buy in Turkey) had little effect and bought no relief.

After a repeat attack the following night he was in trouble with a veritable array of itchy bites all over his torso.

We then noticed that there were lots of Aloe Vera plants growing in the hotel grounds.
A few stalks were removed and the sap / juice squeezed on the nasty looking eruptions.

Instant Relief !

So my question is - can you buy Aloe Vera plants from the garden centres and do they grow outside successfully in Turkey ??

I had a quick look when I was out last time, but couldn't see any for sale and I didn't see any growing anywhere.

Any one know ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Aloe Vera
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 17:27:44 PM »
So my question is - can you buy Aloe Vera plants from the garden centres and do they grow outside successfully in Turkey ??

I had a quick look when I was out last time, but couldn't see any for sale and I didn't see any growing anywhere.

Most of the garden centres around Fethiye sell some variety of aloe. Whether or not it's aloe vera, I don't know. Aloes grow very well locally and there are some huge examples about.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 23:22:17 PM »
Loads of aloe vera growing in my garden in Ovacik.

You are more than welcome to take cuttings.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »
Be careful, scorpions like hiding in aloes.  :)

Offline Phil

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
That's sounds hopeful ..... I'll look in the garden centres next week .
Any one know the Turkish name for Aloe Vera ?

(Ps please don't mention scorpions to the management, she'll flip )

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
Any one know the Turkish name for Aloe Vera ?

Aloe Vera.  ;)

Offline Phil

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
OK – when I said Aloe Vera I was thinking about the one my Mum had in a pot on the kitchen window sill. The plants in Malta where about 18 inches tall with stems the thickness of about two fingers and I had a small spot allocated for them in our garden.

I found the Aloe Vera in the Fethiye garden centres no problems, but in Turkey they all grow to the size of a large dustbin and have stems the thickness of weight lifter’s biceps ........ they are also edged with spikes that resemble sharks teeth.

If you planted one of these in a public place in England it would have to have a safety fence around it !

Looks like we will have to stick to using the Fenistil – unless any one knows if you can get Bonsai Aloe Vera ??

Offline Fran

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
The plant seller as you enter the Sunday market had some small aloe Vera plants for sale last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 14:18:12 PM »
They grow like wildfire around us in Calis.  My neighbour gave us cuttings from her plants.  They grew up really high, however, we removed them and threw them away, as when our Granddaughter was over, our Daughter cut her arm  on one and we were worried the same thing would happen to our granddaughter, which is why we disposed of them.  I am sure if you want one, someone will give you a cutting.  My neighbour always a has a lot of them.  We gave one to the Kings Garden, who put it in a pot outside and that is now also huge..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf