Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 78709 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Re: Brexit
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2018, 16:40:37 PM »
This magnificent trade deal with Trump will not include British meat products. For the past 30 plus years British beef cannot be exported to the US because of mad cow disease. The recent cases in Scotland will prolong that ban.

What really saddens me what has happened to the country that I loved. The UK had its problems but it seems to gone backwards. Back to the days of No Blacks, No Irish and No dog signs on B&Bs. The days of hatred and intolerance. From a country that looked outwards to one that is looking inwards and wants to draw up the bridge. As part of the EU the UK was a big influencer. We saw the battles over the budget but common ground was found. The EU has a major role in world affairs and now the UK wants to withdraw and finish up as one of those little countries that will be ignored.

The days of the empire are gone and there is little point in trying to recreate them. I listen to Johnson and co going on about German influence. Some people still think of Germany as the enemy. Let us never forget history but we have to move on. All I hear is we will strike our own trade deals here there and everywhere. We need to look at ourselves and ask why Germany sells 5 times more to the US, China, India and most other countries in the world. Being innthe EU is not an impediment  to Germany. In fact it is a benefit because anyone trading with Germany knows about the need to comply  with EU standards. We need to stop blaming others and start to realize we might not be as great as we think we are. I worked in Germany for a year and the ethos applied there is so much more positive than the UK. Here there is such a stigma applied to the type of job you do.  The suit and tie jobs carry so much status than your factory operative.The person at the bottom is just the skivvy and has nothing to add. There is no real incentive to buy in to work. It is not always cash it is being appreciated. More emphasis is put on shareholder value than investment. The shame is the UK can hold its own on development with any country in the world. But that development finishes up in other countries. Sometimes this is due to the hypocritical behaviour of some. Take Dyson exploits the British know how and heads off to the far East to manufacture.

I feel that the country is heading for a disaster where we will all be poorer. People have been fooled by fantasies. When I hear Rees Mogg saying we have nothing to fear trading under WTO regs and people buying it concerns me. When a country imports so much food like the UK does will have to pay more just to cover the tariffs. Rees Mogg stands to make millions from his investment trusts in Dublin..Redwood has been advising his clients to move their money out of the UK and return when the economy goes south. Farage is such a great believer in Brexit he has got his children German passports!!!!

There seems to be a bunch of fanatics driving this Brexit who want to make it a country of low regulation and low taxation. Minimise workers rights with the removal of work time and health and safety directives. Make the rich richer and the poor poorer. These people have no respect for anyone that disagrees with them. Directors of companies like Toyota, Nissan and JLR are treated like they are committing treason and ridiculed by people who have never did a proper days work in their lives.

The consequences of a no deal are serious. Loss of investment,, movement and loss of jobs. Falling revenues to the government, less cash for services and falling living standards. Is that what people voted for?

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2018, 18:09:34 PM »
What should the UK do if the deal offered by the EU is crazy ?

If only there was some sort of supra-national organisation we could join in order to club together and gain more clout in such negotiations ensuring something like  that could never happen.

I mean, how could little old Ireland gain get so much support for their position? We're bigger than them, after all.

Offline villain

« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2018, 19:16:10 PM »
What should the UK do if the deal offered by the EU is crazy ?

If only there was some sort of supra-national organisation we could join in order to club together and gain more clout in such negotiations ensuring something like  that could never happen.

I mean, how did little old Ireland gain so much support for their position? We're bigger than them, after all.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2018, 19:44:51 PM »
It doesn’t matter who runs Sky KKOB, you purposely changed the parameters of the argument.
Are EU managers any worse than ours?  I look at the cabinet sometimes and wonder how on earth those idiots got to their elevated positions.
At least the EU bosses aren’t cruel, heartless and self serving

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2018, 19:48:15 PM »
I meant to ask

What should the UK do if the deal offered by the EU is crap ?.

So the answer is...... ?????

Offline villain

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2018, 21:17:12 PM »
Only the withdrawal agreement is being negotiated at present. Maybe you'll get to know about a trade deal in about 2 years time. What form it takes actually takes is anyone's guess.

I say 2 years, but comprehensive trade deals like this can take 7 years or more. If you don't like it, tough luck.

But remember, you have taken back control.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2018, 21:57:41 PM »
The Eu is not offering a deal. Every time May tries to negotiate the answer is no. EU only interested in EU dominance. I doubt there will be a no deal brexit which means we will have to remain in custom union ie status quo.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2018, 22:24:18 PM »
The Eu is not offering a deal. Every time May tries to negotiate the answer is no. EU only interested in EU dominance. I doubt there will be a no deal brexit which means we will have to remain in custom union ie status quo.

Agree re the EU and belive if they reach a reasonable deal with the UK others will want the same kind of deal and the whole thing might start to unravel. 

Offline villain

« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
I will re-iterate that the UK and EU are not negotiating a trade deal at this time, they are only negotiating the Withdrawal Agreement. This sequence of negotiations was agreed to by the UK in 2017. The main disagreement is the Irish Backstop which the UK had previously agreed to in January 2018 but are currently trying to renege on.

The EU have been explicitly clear on which future trade models are open to the UK ("EFTA", "Switzerland", "Canada" etc.). They even published the info on a handy slide which I previously posted twice. The UK is still deciding upon what it actually wants.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
We need to start getting real here. You would think the EU is leaving the UK and not the other way round. The EU law is enshrined investigations that apply to all members. It is based on the 4 freedoms and the EU from the outset these freedoms are not open to negotiation. What the UK wants is frictionless trade and that is not possible without adherence to the freedoms.

We heard all of this we want to control our borders, our money and our laws. We were promised that nothing will change  by the leave campaign. We heard Brexit is Brexit and all the other waffle. The EU said sorry you are leaving  but we respect your decisions. These are the options available to you (Villains slide). These were available from day one. May and her fanatics in the Tory party have spent over 2 years infighting like alley cats paying little attention to the ecnomic consequences but jockeying for leadership.

The EU has offered a deal but it is not acceptable because they have not and will notallowed the UK to cherry pick.For 18 months the EU has been frustrated with the UK's negotiating position. The trouble is the UK does not know what it wants. This has led to frustration and the EU has lost patience which resulted in the Tusk tweet regarding cake with no cherries.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf