Author Topic: importing possessions via Bulgaria/Greece  (Read 2948 times)

Offline waterdragon

importing possessions via Bulgaria/Greece
« on: March 12, 2008, 18:18:29 PM »
Hi to everyone!

Does anyone have experience of driving your own van/truck and bringing your things (house move) into Turkey via the land crossings either from Greece or Bulgaria?

I know about he basic need to have residency. But I want to know if anyone can advise about Customs at these crossings and if they know of anyone who can help with the process at the crossings?

Many thanks

Tim

Offline peter16

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 00:16:11 AM »
Hello
Not sure of technical details. But one thing I know from experience, go in via the Greek crossing at Ipsala, do not go via Bulgaria. The Ipsala route was very low key and seemed very friendly (for custom officials that is). Good luck.

Offline waterdragon

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 14:32:42 PM »
Peter

That is very helpful - many many thanks for the reply.

Just out of interest - you seem to be speaking with close/direct knowledge, have you done this yourself or has a friend done it? I would be interested in more info. You can email e thru the forum.

Many thank again ...

Tim

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 15:59:18 PM »
I came through the Bulgarian / Turkish border a couple of years ago with a pick-up truck full of personal items. Didn't have any problems at all. They had a cursory check, asked a couple of questions about what I was carrying, then stamped my papers and wished me a safe journey and happy life in Turkey.

Offline waterdragon

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 18:17:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies - a bit spoilt for choice now - I guess.

One thing I know for sure is that I have heard more than a few horror stories about the customs at Izmir! So will not be going through there!

KayaKoyuOldBoy - you say you used a pick-up - I take it you mean a more car sized vehicle rather than a 7.5 tonne vehicle which I am planning to use - or have I got that wrong?

Any guesses whether they would treat the equivalent of a 20ft container any differently?

Many thanks again

Tim

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 18:29:56 PM »
some friends of ours returned from a 6 month stay in Turkey last October.  They drove back via Bilgaria and said it was a nightmare they wouldn't repeat.  They were stopped many times and had to pay numerous backhanders

Offline starman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 18:42:32 PM »
Dont even think about it. A 7.5 tonne truck will get you stopped and you will have to do customs clearance. If you dont have a residence permit then you wont be able to bring it in.
You can bring 1500 euros worth of stuff and pay 10% tax but electrical items etc will make things worse. You also have to know how to fill out the forms (Bayename, EK 48 EK49 etc).
Then you have the matter of the vehicle itself which can only stay for 6 months then as to leave.
You are opening up yourself to a lot of nightmares and have seen plenty of people who thought they could do it but only to get turned back at the border.
KKOB is a little different as it was a pick up with Turkish plates and he already has a residence.

My advice....DONT!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 19:02:15 PM »
Starman's right, it was only a Nissan Skystar Pick-up, not a 7.5 tonner, and it was Turkish registered. Although the customs officials weren't impressed with that as I was still "Yabanci" to them.

If you bring a vehicle from the UK, get in touch if you need a second driver when you have to return it. I've got to go back for a visit to the UK at some time and don't necessarily have to fly.

Offline waterdragon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 21:02:19 PM »
Thanks Starman - yes we will have residence permits and are labelling as recommended together with manifest in both turkish and english.
 We are not keen to ship into Izmir which eveyone we ask to quote wants to do. Given the size ofthe quotes and our detailed costings for crossing europe we could easily budget to return the truck to customs should we not wish to drive back.
We do expect to have to deal with customs and any recommendations on this will be gratefully received eg is it best to have an agent or where we can obtain the forms .
There will be very few if any electrical items
- if it all gets too much we will ship but that seems just as much customs hassle at Izmir as a land crossing might be.

Thanks KKOB - a companion on the return journey would be good news!

And Janet thanks for the advice!

Offline helen

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 21:19:50 PM »
we had our stuff shipped by brittania removals 300cubic feet cost us £1200 no fees to pay at izmir delivered in 5 weeks no problems

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf