Author Topic: Hi new to calis beach forum  (Read 3186 times)

Offline The Gibbos

• Newly Registered
Hi new to calis beach forum
« on: August 26, 2014, 20:45:01 PM »
Hi
My name is Tracey, I'm new to the forum so just wanted to introduce myself.  I've been coming to calis for over six years now and love it as clearly we all do and wanted to some advice on living here please I.e. Should we rent to start with or buy ? Any suggestions on who we should bank with, should we spread our money etc anything anyone can help with would be appreciated.
Thank you   :)

Offline LeeGlo

Re: Hi new to calis beach forum
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for advice. Most people will tell you to rent first, A: to see if you really like your chosen area, and B: to give yourselves more time to get to know your way around before committing to anything as major as property purchase.

Banks, well yes spread your money around the Government guarantee here only cover up to 100K Lira per person per bank account. Which banks, people have their preferences, we've banked with TEB for around 6 years and had no complaints, we also have accounts with Garanti and ING.

Have a look via the search facility on here and you will find lots of advice. Good luck with your planned move.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
Hi Tracey and fellow Gibbos.  Even though we own a place here and live here for most of the year, I always recommedn to try things out on a rental basis first of all, and not only avoid expensive pitfalls, but also find out what you really want in terms of property, location and a myriad of other things that you do not think of before buying.  Banks I would recommend HSBC (particularly if you can get a Premier Account) and TEB.  Having said that none of the banks are great, it's just not getting the worst .... if you see what I mean.

As to spreading, it is probably a wise move, but I would not have thought that you need more than two banks, otherwise you'll spend all your time managing your bank accounts, instead of enjoying it here  ;)

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 14:29:14 PM »
As to spreading, it is probably a wise move, but I would not have thought that you need more than two banks, otherwise you'll spend all your time managing your bank accounts, instead of enjoying it here   ;)

UBT, we hardly ever visit our banks they all have very good websites in English and managing our accounts takes me an hour online once a month.

Offline patrice

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 15:43:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tracey and I am sure members will help you make positive decisions   8)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 16:00:42 PM »
Banks, well yes spread your money around the Government guarantee here only cover up to 100K Lira per person per bank account.

Off topic I know, but given the current economic climate in Turkey I'm not sure how valuable that guarantee actually is now.  Also, different interpretations I've seen suggest that it may be one bank account, per person, PER BANK.  So if you want guaranteed guarantees (if thats even possible!), spread it around like mentioned above.  Easy to manage it all online.

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 16:13:18 PM »
As to spreading, it is probably a wise move, but I would not have thought that you need more than two banks, otherwise you'll spend all your time managing your bank accounts, instead of enjoying it here    ;)

UBT, we hardly ever visit our banks they all have very good websites in English and managing our accounts takes me an hour online once a month.

Let me explain that statement was meant to be humorous and....... oh please can someone else explain for me .... I am rapidly losing the will to live......

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 22:03:29 PM »
hi tracey and welcome  do lots of research on here , there is lots of info good luck

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 22:08:02 PM »
My advice would be to keep your money in sterling. Interest for TL might be high but if TL devaluates you will end up with a loss.
Interest rate on sterling is low so you might as well keep your money in the UK.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf