Author Topic: 20 things your child will never do or understand  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: 20 things your child will never do or understand
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »
Going off with the rest of your gang to the Saturday Morning Children's Matinee at the local cinema. Watching cartoons and thrillers that always had a "cliffhanger" ending to get you back for the following episode next week.

and you always rode your 'imaginary' horse home from the cinema.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
Yes, and the commissioner always wore his full uniform with gold braid and his cap, and walked up and down the queue outside to keep us kids in order.   My Cinema was the Palladium in Seaforth.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Tuning (eventually) into the air waves with your crystal set with the ex-WD headset hurting like mad.
Taking my Grandmother's lead acid battery into Wrexham to swap it for the ready charged one from last week's trip.
Fag paper in the spokes turning my bike into a Norton Dominator.
Travelling in the Guards van by myself and sharing his tea in a huge chipped enamel jug.
Singing in the choir - practice Tuesday and Thursday plus men and twice on Sunday. 2 shillings per wedding with a mind blowing 14 shillings on one tax friendly Saturday.
Trying so hard to follow Mr Crabtree's advice on all things fishing.
Seeing a real banana and orange and running to the village shop with a china plate to hand over coupons for a couple of slices of Wall's ice cream and getting home before it melted.
And never saying to my parents that I was bored !

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
Sneaking cane bows and arrows into the matinee and shooting back at the indians in the "Western".
Riding,with the help of two mates acting as "doormen",a BSA Bantam through the same Cinema mid-film, beep beep. !

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
As a teenager getting up at 5am to walk 8 miles to the Astoria, Finsbury Park to queue for tickets to see the Kinks, queuing all night to get tickets for the Beatles Christmas show.  Missing the last bus home and walking 6 miles home at 11pm, with mum and dad fast asleep!!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
Great memories everybody!

Offline Lotty

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 13:32:31 PM »
Filling the Burco boiler to get hot water to fill the tin bath in front of the fire on a Friday night. Then when we 4 kids took our pecking order and bathed, trying to tip it out down the back yard afterwards! Many a flood when our mum was out at work!

Being really excited to babysit at my aunties because I could have a bath in a proper bathroom with indoor toilet!

Waiting for my nana to finish baking the Stottie cakes so I could deliver to her friends. She baked pies EVERY Wednesday and Stotties (flat bread) every single Sunday and gave it all away.

Taking my nana's library books back and trying to choose one she hadn't read!

Being sent out to play after breakfast in the holidays, then only going back for meals. We had great fun then. Skipping in the road & playing ball games. Shinning up a drainpipe. Playing two a baller against the wall. Hopscotch. Meeting at the Rec.

Finding dock leaves to ease nettle stings. (they're always nearby)

Going to the chippy on cold nights and getting free scraps (loose batter) - eating salad cream or sauce sarnies.

Spending my bus fare on a hot pork pie after swimming then walking home. Nothing tasted as good as those pies. Drooling now!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 17:01:59 PM »
Will they understand how the first Dr Who had a granddaughter? I never did, but perhaps I'll find out tonight on the programme about making the first series (BBC2 9.00-10.30).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 17:11:44 PM »
My kids were highly amused when I told them that we used to change channel on the tv by walking up to it and pressing buttons next to the screen.

Also they struggled with the concept that if you were out, you missed the programme that was on unless they repeated it in future.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 17:50:11 PM »
The Beatles stated that the first remote controlled TV they saw was in Elvis Presleys house.
He also had the first mobile phone they had seen,built into a small case.They were amazed
and that doesn't seem that long ago does it.?
I was the youngest of 7 kids born in a slum in Brum,no electric,we has gas lighting.My lovely
Irish mother,god rest her,used to tuck us in at night with the instruction"don't play with the
gas lamps or you'll wake in the morning and find yourself dead".????? Irish logic.    :)
Shared loo up the yard,wash house,fire range cooking,my grandkids think I was a
bleedin' Victorian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf