Author Topic: A new parasite that infects cattle and dogs..There is no cure.  (Read 996 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
A new parasite that infects cattle and dogs..There is no cure.
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »
Watched Country File last night and the Farmer who is always on the programme was telling us about the cow he had in a herd that did not get pregnancy this year.   So off we went to a lab to hear from a Boffin who explained what was wrong with the cow The Boffin told of a parasite that some dogs have been infected with, is passed on to cattle when dogs poo on grass farmland. The parasite is taken into the cow's digestive system when they eat infected grass.
The parasite set up in the host's body and the animal is infected.  This parasite causes cows to abort their young.  It was explained that once any animal was infected by this parasite there was no cure.   So dogs and farm animals can be infected by this parasite.
The Farmer then told us all he had never heard of this parasite until last year, it was a fairly new thing.  He went on to explain as there was no cure, there was nothing to do but put down infected animals, and he had found he had quite a few of them after testing. However, he was looking on the bright side as he was sending all the infected animals to slaughter for beef????
I have to say Phil and I were amazed as the story was just left there.  No explanation that this parasite does not infect humans too.  Also, with the fashion now to serve meat nearly raw, we are hoping that there is no effect on humans, but if the Farmer had not heard of this disease until last year perhaps it might be wise not to let the British public eat infected Beef just yet ??  8) >:(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: A new parasite that infects cattle and dogs..There is no cure.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Missed Country File this week, but this farmer (Adam?) can't be a regular listener to the Archers, otherwise he'd of know about this.  Blimey it has led to fall outs between neighbours, dog shootings, children going missing and has stepped up the warfare between the two Grundy brothers.  It's poor Clarie Grundy I feel most sorry for. :'(

Offline suehugh

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 13:24:42 PM »
Anomie it's obviously affected Tony Archer as he now sounds like a different man.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 16:41:23 PM »
What's the parasite called ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 16:45:34 PM »
I think this would be very worrying for any pregnant women watching the programme and the Beeb should have made it clear if this parasite was or was not dangerous to humans.  However, the matter was just left for us to guess.

Found it on the net it's called Neosporosis  However, no information about humans becoming infected.

http://www.nfus.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Campaigns/Disease%20in%20Livestock.pdf

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 16:55:58 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 17:08:49 PM »
Good to see the Beeb are on top of things. Neospora Caninum was first identified in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neospora_caninum

Neospora caninum does not appear to be infectious to humans. Wikipedia.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 22:34:26 PM »
I thought parasites were found in Parliament.       :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf