Author Topic: Snowtime  (Read 10096 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Snowtime
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 20:35:44 PM »
Our back garden

That's interesting, your wine plants are starting to push through even with a layer of snow.  How are your spaghetti trees doing this year?

No snow for us, although further north in Galicia and the Basque Country they've been hit pretty hard, a number of fatalities being reported on Spanish news.

Our biggest issue is the rain - thirty six hours of solid rainfall which the infrastructure simply isn't designed for.  Forecast not great for next few days but hopefully we wont see a repeat of October last year:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6fcik6LDY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6fcik6LDY</a>

Incredibly, this was 100m or so away from our rental apartment, and our underground garage was as dry as bone!

What I will say though, is that the sirens etc have increased over the past couple of hours and the wind has also increased quite considerably with no let up with the rain, so maybe tomorrow we might have an indoor swimming pool instead of a garage  :)

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 13:43:09 PM »
So it's been confirmed that Dingwall has been sublime these last few days   ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 13:55:00 PM »
Are you still trying to persuade us that "Dingwall" is a real place? Is it in the land where the Bong-Tree grows? Is there a Piggy-Wig standing in the wood?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 14:12:35 PM by Colwyn »

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 18:07:10 PM »
Wow......Dingwall sounds a delightful place must put it on our bucket list  ;D :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 18:16:46 PM »
It does have a very entertaining Indian restaurant

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 18:37:47 PM »
Sublimation is described as the conversion between a solid and the gas phases of matter, with no intermediate liquid stage.

It is most often used to describe the process of snow and ice changing into water vapour in the air without first melting into water.

It did snow in Dingwall but the wind has dried it up. There is no dampness.

This according to a former geography at Dingwall High school who gave evening lectures for 30 years for Aberdeen University.

Hey, I'm only the messenger.   :)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 18:55:22 PM »

It does have a very entertaining Indian restaurant
Patelvis is a class act   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
Sublimation is described as the conversion between a solid and the gas phases of matter, with no intermediate liquid stage.
It also means a condition where "socially unacceptable impulses or idealizations are unconsciously transformed into socially acceptable actions or behavior" (Wikipedia). That sounds more like the mythical Dingwall to me.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 19:22:30 PM »

We had approx' 18 inches of snow in our part of Brrrrrrum overnight. The Milkman, for the first time in 40 plus years, didn't get to us

and none of the cars in our road have moved. Certainly warmer today though. Sublime even.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 21:11:42 PM »
Well we were hit hard here in Helensburgh and no thanks to Argyll & Bute Council, we got ourselves dug out last night. Here are some of our photos. the snow at side path is 2.5 deep, and as you can see, my main path was so deep it was up to my knees. My car is under that snow somewhere too. The other one is our main train line. Guess the trains were cancelled!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf