Author Topic: It is the same - the world over!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
It is the same - the world over!
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
I had to smile - having got caught up in 2012 (I think) with “everyone has to sign up for SGK” - which we did. Then the “road tax” - which after months of waiting for it - it never came but a few others that did - like unusual rise in council tax etc - we eventually accepted this is Turkey - the benefits still outweigh the downside.

So after 12 years we decided it was time to sell up and we bought a holiday home in Spain - with the intention of getting 4 or 5 months a year abroad. Consequently I am on a “Spanish Forum” and it is currently a little chaotic with people trying to get residency before March 29th.

One lady and her husband started a post which basically said she, her husband and lawyer arrived at the regional police station for their pre arranged appointment last week. Whilst queuing with others a policeman came out and posted a sign on the wall with “new rules” - one of which was “you needed to show 2 years of bank statements as opposed to previously 3 months” showing you had sufficient funds plus a monthly pension going in. This was queried so much as previously the law is / was you had to apply for residency before you had been in the country for 6 months - so having your pension paid into a Spanish Bank Account for 2 years prior to residency might be a problem and one person has now written to the EU for clarification.

You also need to have health cover at the point of applying - even though if you are over 65 you will be able to have “free” Spanish healthcare as will your partner as long as one of you is over 65 - but you need to get your residency before you can be eligible for the free healthcare and so you have to have private insurance at the point of your application - does it sound familiar ................

One person who had lived in Spain for over 20 years said “this is standard practice when the administration can’t cope - they change the rules to slow it down and then eventually revert back to the correct rules”

Below is the latest post on the same point - by the original poster - which confirms my point in the title - officialdom the world over can drive you crazy - but it’s not just you   :)

Re: Elche police station residency
Postby nannyabroad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Totally agree....but when we went Wednesday the Spanish policeman wanted two years bank accounts, we only had three months, plus he wanted our marriage certificate translated into Spanish. We both had S1s and our private insurance. I am under pensionable age hubby is not. He was having none of it and stood to his guns re the bank statements. So we await the next appointment will go armed with what he insists he needs. Unless there is a new notice on the wall lol

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: It is the same - the world over!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
And we thought we had problems coming back to The UK...Having to prove that we were habitually resident.. The rest was a doddle..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf