Author Topic: New Zealand attacks  (Read 1979 times)

Offline marina

New Zealand attacks
« on: March 15, 2019, 17:31:01 PM »
I hope no-one minds this but I need to put a few thoughts down in black and white on the atrocities that happened in Christchurch overnight.
I've been missing from here for a few weeks, checking in a few times to keep up with what's going on but that's about it.
The reason being that we've just got back (a few days ago) from a wonderful 6 week trip to see our daughter, son-in-law and two little grandsons in New Zealand.  We visited other fabulous places too, Singapore, Sydney and Fifi, but the main purpose of the trip was to spend time with the family and we had almost 4 weeks with them.  They live just outside Wellington on the southern tip of the North Island.   Part of our holiday this time was a two week tour of South Island.
We flew from Wellington to Christchurch and hired a car to tour round, ending up back at Christchurch for the flight back to Welly.
We stayed the first 4 nights in Christchurch and it was a lovely city.  Easy to walk around, or get on one of the trams. It's still rebuilding after the devastating earthquakes a few years ago which killed so many people and you can still see some of the buildings that were destroyed, but also where they have rebuilt.
You can probably imagine my complete shock and horror when my daughter sent me a message telling us about the shootings there.  Watching the news later made it even more real.  New Zealand really is the last place on earth you would expect this to happen.  No-one is naive enough to think these things can't happen anywhere in the world, but New Zealanders really were not expecting this.  And why should they? A small, peaceful, friendly couple of islands miles from a anywhere!  Things may have to change now as regards security etc. but I hope it doesn't spoil the lifestyle they have over there. That's one of the things that makes it so special. My opinion anyway.  This won't just have affected people in Christchurch but all over NZ.  I also hope it doesn't set off any more of these attacks, anywhere in the world!
 :'(

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: New Zealand attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 18:40:58 PM »
Yes,very sad to hear about it Marina. I'm glad you were able to spend some quality time with the family.Like you, I hope it doesnt spoil the lifestyle there and there are no repercussions. Glad you are back home safe and well. Berniex

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 18:44:02 PM »
Thanks Bernie  x

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 19:44:46 PM »
My first thought was that I have no words. My second is that I have very few words.  Why? Why would anyone want to blast peaceful people (adults and children) want to cause such an horrendous act of cruelty?  We visited Christchurch shortly after the earthquakes and saw the ways they were coming back, the cardboard cathedral, the pop up shops in the containers. It is beyond belief. There are some very, very disturbed and insane people in this world.  Marina, our prayers are with you, your family and their friends and neighbours at this time.  Someday, maybe, we will get the answers.  :'(

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 19:54:00 PM »
Thank you sadler x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 22:16:55 PM »
I think we have to accept that there are unhinged people everywhere Marina, and that attacks like these are possible everywhere. It hits hard when it is a place we know or have visited, especially when we visited because we have loved ones there.

It hit home, reading your post - and thank you for sharing your thoughts. All we can do is show the good side of human nature. The good humans far outweigh the evil, it's just the good people don't grab the headlines.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf