Author Topic: Fresh milk  (Read 1630 times)

Offline TB752

Fresh milk
« on: November 23, 2011, 13:04:05 PM »
Just visited the new shop in Fethiye selling fresh pasteurised milk and other dairy products.  Called Poren and its on Mustafa Kemel Bulv. and is No. 62A.  Going from Fethiye to Calis it is on the right hand side just past the new traffic lights. There is a sign by the roadside advertising fresh milk daily (Gunluk taze sut).  They have a dairy farm which supplies fresh milk daily.  It is sold in 3lt and 5lt packs (these are strong  plastic bags so you need to have something to decant into).  Price is good - 1.5tl per litre.  Taste is very good.  They do say they may be supplying fresh cream in the future, so the more demand made then perhaps they will hurry this up.

Offline screamlead

Fresh milk
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 13:29:42 PM »
Nice one - cheese making cultures on order!

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Fresh milk
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 13:37:10 PM »
You can buy fresh cows milk almost anywhere now in 1 lr cartons but it goes off a lot quicker in the summer.[?]

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Fresh milk
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 14:00:13 PM »
Make sure that it definitely is pasteurised !! Brucellosis is very prevalent in cattle in Turkey, due, in part, to very poor husbanding of the animals. Brucellosis can be fatal to humans!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 14:04:05 PM by GordonA »

Offline Sus

Fresh milk
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:56:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lance

You can buy fresh cows milk almost anywhere now in 1 lr cartons but it goes off a lot quicker in the summer.[?]

I buy the 1 litre cartons and then pour it into small plastic containers and then freeze it, fresh milk all the time and no waste.

Like Gordon said I would be very careful it is pasteurised.

Offline Sus

Fresh milk
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:17 AM »
Just thought if you keep your milk in the fridge as most people do, how can it go off a lot quicker in the summer then in winter:-)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Fresh milk
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:55 AM »
The fresh milk here in the super market only has a shelf life of a couple of days unlike the UK where it is available and can last at least a week which makes me wonder now how that can be and if something is added to lengthen its life!

And fridge or no fridge it does "turn" more quickly here in summer than winter  :) I expect it is the heat  ;) just opening and closing the fridge door and transporting it from shop to home exposes it to much higher temperatures than in the UK.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Fresh milk
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »
Not being a microbiologist i dont realy know but trust me it does ,maybe bacteria entering the carton when you use it ,perhaps more germs in warm air ,i wont lose any sleep over it .[?]

Offline Sus

Fresh milk
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lance

Not being a microbiologist i dont realy know but trust me it does ,maybe bacteria entering the carton when you use it ,perhaps more germs in warm air ,i wont lose any sleep over it .[?]

No neither will I.

Offline jackstee

Fresh milk
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 18:10:03 PM »
Actually, had that problem a lot some years ago,in the Hotels I worked in.

We found that it was the delivery that screwed the milk up. Overnight stops, chiller bust etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf