Author Topic: Does anybody know.....  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
Re: Does anybody know.....
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »
It always surprises me how many dogs are allowed to run around without leads, as soon as they run towards you it's the same quite from the owner " he/she is harmless" many many people are scared of dogs, so it's so nice to here a dog owner respecting others

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »
We have a Turkish friend who was going to get a puppy for his children.  We were quite surprised when he told us it will stay in the garden and not be allowed in the house as animals are dirty and are not allowed to come into the houses.  We did not mention our cat lives in our house in the U.K. in case we upset him.  However, perhaps this is why Turkish people don't like dogs on the dolmus.  I also cannot remember ever seeing a dog in a car with a Turkish family.

Offline Old Nick

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
I also cannot remember ever seeing a dog in a car with a Turkish family.

I can, several times, and on scooters! :o

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 13:37:08 PM »
So dogs/ cats are looked upon as "dirty", yet when we lived in Turkey, I can remember on LOTS of occasions, seeing Turks getting into vehicles with chickens , SHEEP, and probably the most stinking farm animal of all, GOATS !!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 15:30:13 PM »
It is to do with religion - go down to Islam on this link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_religion

Also read this interesting article which helps explain "attitudes" of some - steeped in History

http://www.beyond-the-pale.co.uk/stamboul.htm

Offline jackstee

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 16:38:21 PM »
We take Charlie on the Dolly 3 or 4 times per week and all over the place. We live in central Fethiye.

However he is a small dog and I always carry him. Never had a problem in the 5 years we have been there.
However we have one friend who was going t and then cancelled it as they don't allow dogs he was told.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 16:39:36 PM »
Sorry
He was going to Marmaris and then cancelled it

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 17:30:42 PM »
As someone who always tells my wife who is very nervous of dogs "don't worry, that dogs harmless", it was fate that I got bitten on the leg in May whilst cycling past Denis Sitesi (on left as you come in from Koca). I was told at the hospital that 3-5 people everyday are treated for dog bites in Fethiye, so maybe it a bigger problem than many people think. Also I can confirm that if you are bitten and the skin is broken, a visit to the hospital for a course of Rabies jabs (free) and tetanus, anti inflammatories and antibiotics only costs a 39 lira prescription. No need to use local doctors and insurance as your excess will be far more! The service was first class and I was never there more than 10 minutes on my 4 visits! I was told by a local Turkish lady who witnessed the event and cleaned the wound, the dog was not a stray.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf