Author Topic: Taxman cometh!!!  (Read 12889 times)

Offline daveG

Taxman cometh!!!
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
It never rains but it pours comes to mind!
Having dealt with the airline fiasco, Went to my bank yesterday to find my account had been suspended.
After trying to discover why eventually pointed in the direction of the tax office.
After a further 30 mins of what why and disbelief I t came to light that on purchase of our property in 2004 the price paid did not agree with the value shown on tapu.
Consequently after much deliberation decided to cough up 1750 tl to enable the bank account to be re-opened.
I feel sure that this clampdown going back so many years could result in further pain for many expats.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Taxman cometh!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Did you purchase your property through Hanel Houses or one of their subsidiaries by any chance ?

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
We were warned about this practice when buying around 2005 and made sure we had th3 correct figure on the Tapu.No problems for us but I suspect this will be the tip of the iceberg and exactly what our agent warned us about.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Taxman cometh!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
I would suggest 1750tl is way less than the original underpayment of tax, and the many years of underpaid council tax, based on tapu value.

Not nice to have your account frozen though...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
Totally agree, and 1750tl is probably a bit of a result, against what it could have been - especially if you factor in the interest over thirteen years!

JF

Offline daveG

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 17:08:43 PM »
KKOB No it was purchased through Hallmark Properties located close to where the new arcade stands now.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 19:42:29 PM »
Did you get a receipt saying you had paid in full & final settlement (off the tax).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 20:04:20 PM »
Good point Bewva, this may not be over. Seems a very random action too, nobody else has reported it happening to them here or on FB. I assume there will be plenty more coming.

Offline daveG

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Yes Bewva receipt given and advised block on account would be lifted following day.  So will wait a further few days before going into my bank for a full statement. Of course this will not show the payment just paid direct to tax office.
This whole episode came as a big shock as there was no underhand dealing on our behalf we just left it to the so called professionals I.e estate agent and independent advocate.
This was at a time when many purchases were conducted through this brother or that cousin or under the table with bags of para!! We did not entertain this route.
General information we have since received mounted to..within 5yrs any problem should have been brought to life and certainly within 10yrs!!!however for a quite life (at our age this is all we want) we paid up and put it down to experience.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
It is a result cash wise but we were concerned about this from the outset hence demanding correct value on Tapu.What is of concern is that over 12 years later and they are going through tax records and making demands,freezing accounts etc.this seems a bit long in the tooth and excessive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf