Author Topic: Kill Bourganvillea & grape vines?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Kill Bourganvillea & grape vines?
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:51:40 PM »
OK I know most of you want to grow them BUT we have them & can,t get rid. The bougan.... has been cut back to ground many times & sprayed with Round -up BUT for every shoot we cut off 4 grow in it,s place. The Vines the same & they all grow so quickly.
The Bourgan... is a pain as it keeps getting into mossie screens the vines stop some really nice flowers from growing.
HELP - anyone know how to kill off the root systems - deep & under house patio now?????

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »
To kill anything off pour either a Sodium Chlorate solution on the ground at the base of the plant, stronger the better, no idea where you will get it in Turkey though, in UK it comes in small plastic pots, easily fits in a suitcase. OR try pouring some diesel, again a guarenteed winner, but less envoronmentally acceptable.  Both of these methods will steralise the ground though, nothing will grow there, in real terms, for 2 - 5 years, so gravel it and put a large pot with a plant there.  But you may need to be this severe, vines have been known to put roots down in excess on 10 m!

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »
a copper nail might work I know they can kill trees.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 14:18:46 PM »
I have also heard this about copper nails. Allegedly, if you hammer them into shrub stumps it accelerates the process of rotting the roots. Has anyone tried this, and does it work. if so, where do you get the copper nails? They have to be big ones I think, not those little panel pins that DIY stores sell.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »
Thanks all BUT hopefully we no longer have the problem as we have just signed 1st contract to sell all 3 properties - so we,ll let someone else worry. Interesting about the copper nails though.

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 13:44:09 PM »
The copper (or brass, but not nearly as effective) nails are driven into the trunk, when the plant starts to come to life in the spring, the rising sap collects toxins from the copper and poisons the plant, OR drill a small hole in the trunk and stuff it with copper sulphate, looks like blue bath crystals, and seal the hole with a bit of putty etc, same effect.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 15:19:47 PM »
Sandrats, so it is no good just nailing them into the stump then after you've cut the top down?

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 13:45:59 PM »
Colwyn, it will help, as some stumps will try and regrow after being cut, the copper sulphate trick is the best one to kill a stump of though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf