Author Topic: trees,flowers and plants  (Read 7442 times)

Offline josef

• Newly Registered
trees,flowers and plants
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
we have a large garden and have the ıntentıon to make our own vegetable garden, but also we need a lot of plants, flowers and trees
where do you thınk ı can fınd the best and cheapest place to buy all thıs
ı also need a lot of kayrak stones , any ıdea about the prıce per ton

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
Re: trees,flowers and plants
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 00:14:05 AM »
we have a large garden and have the ıntentıon to make our own vegetable garden, but also we need a lot of plants, flowers and trees
where do you thınk ı can fınd the best and cheapest place to buy all thıs
ı also need a lot of kayrak stones , any ıdea about the prıce per ton
Josef
Cannot help you regarding Kayrak stone, sorry.
We did however purchase trees, shrubs, plants.. from Mazdem over 6 years ago and they have all matured very nicely at our place in Uzumlu.
Mazdem is on the Dalaman / Antalya road D400? Before Ciftlik as you head out of Fethiye towards Dalaman.
I have not been to any others so cannot compare costs though.
As I recall we had about 6 Oliandas, a bottle brush type tree, a couple of others and about 4 shrubs.
 it was about GBP80.00 and the guy followed us back and planted them all!
Hope that is some help.
Dave

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
There are a couple of good Garden Centres on the Gunlukbasi Road, going from Calis to Fethiye.  We have used them.  Also one opposite the big Migros in Fethiye.
The one we used last weekend (and have used before) is, just coming off the Gunlukbasi Road and heading the the Dalaman Road D400 it is just on the right hand side before you reach the Dalaman Road.  We bought two quite big substantial bushes in pots for 10 TL each.  They also had a whole variety of potted herbs for 5TL each.   If you wanted any big ornamental pots for the garden, they have them too.
The Calis Market have a couple of plant stalls that sell good plants, bushes and small trees.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »
There are a couple of stone masons on the Gunlukbasi Road, one virtually opposite the Citroen garage, the other is past Kipa & opposite Tekzen. You may get your kayrak stone at either of these

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
Our calis market plants have never done well (2 up by pancake stands)
Had 2 hydrangers ans a very large fushia from one that backs onto Migros. Hydrangers have done ok but fushia died within a week. was in a sheltered shaddy spot.
No plant stalls for last 3 weeks on market!!!!!!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »
Us and the neighbours have bought Hydrangers from the Market and they have all done well.   We have also bought from the couple who sell near the entrance on the right hand side.  Their plants have lasted well.  I suppose it is the luck of the draw
However, a 10Tl Oleander (which at the time they told us they could deliver)  from the place near the Dalman Road, bought about 5 years ago, is now like a tree.
Also a Bourganvillier bought from them has grown right up the side of the house and is lovely.
I think it is probably getting near the end of the season now, so not as much choice as in the Summer.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 18:58:27 PM »
We have bought from a number of the sites mentioned. Like some of the posters we had no luck with Fuschias. All died after 3 months. Nice while they lasted.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 20:39:13 PM »
We have not tried fuchias, but we have had some luck with oleanders, they have really taken off.  Also Jasmine, the white variety and in May we planted a blue jasmine, which seems to have taken well. Also, of course borganvilla we planted is really good.  All in Calis.
We have a wild fushia which is huge, at our place in Scotland, it was there when we moved in in 1983 and the place had been empty for  50 years.  I have tried to take cuttings from it, but they never root.   I would love to get a cutting to root, so any tips would be appreciated. 

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »
Three times I've tried to grow fuchsia all in different locations and even in tubs. They don't survive, save your money for other plants and shrubs.

Ollianders, the blue jasmine and bottle brush all do well and mine don't appear to require watering which is just as well and a bonus.

Also we have a hibiscus in the restaurant and that doesn't need or like watering either. Too much rain in winter make cause it to look like its on its last legs by spring but it soon recovers.

Night scented Melissa has a beautiful smell, does need watering though.

I'd shop around for places to buy as you'll find some different varieties and plants in the garden centers. The closer to Migros in Fethiye the more expensive they can be I have found.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:54:26 AM »
Oleanders need cutting back quite severely every couple of years but you need to be very careful. The sap is highly toxic and has a similar effect as strychnine. Even if you burn the cuttings you have to be very careful about the smoke as that's toxic too.

Lookout for the caterpillar of the Oleander Hawk Moth and the huge adult moth. They both look as if they're from another planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnis_nerii

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf