Author Topic: ovacik  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Andrew H

Re: ovacik
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 18:54:16 PM »
We had a villa in Ovacik until last autumn when we sold. On the occasions we stayed in the winter it was very quiet and we had a wood burner installed. Our neighbours had cental heating puttting in. We were up near Mailbu apartments and over the years must say the roads around there got busier and busier and not helped by their poor state which had numerous pot holes and  had dust flying up all of the summer. So Location location Location is very important. Good luck

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
Is there a particular part you reccomend Andy? Is it very dusty up there?
I agree about location location..trjying to find a happy medium that
That will suit full time living there. Appreciate the advice eberyone
Bernie

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
Yes you may find certain people at Abra but there are also Aegaen, Seashell, Harem, Morning Star and many other places that are open in winter. There are bowling, darts and pool competitions, quiz nights, Zumba classes, Turkish lessons, coffee mornings, etc etc.

And about the supermarkets: Sok, Migros, Azda and Bim are open all year round.

On a sunny sunday lots of people go down to Oludeniz and it gets quite busy.

The roads are a nightmare of course but they will hopefully become better when Ovacik becomes part of Fethiye municipality next year.
Find out about floodings, which something happens at the lower end of the town, in the Hisaronu bit.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »
Hi Bernie - I've sent you a PM

Offline retiredandlovingit

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 19:04:12 PM »
Hubby and I moved into our house in Ovacik permanently just over 2 years ago.Compared to English winters its mild and short here and on a sunny day you can usually still sit outside.We heat our house with a wood burner and its lovely and cosy.Ovacik has quite a few places open throughout the winter ,much more than Hisaronu which is like a ghost town. I would say that a car is a must for the winter as the dolmus does not run that frequently up here , this also opens up Fethiye for shopping and nights out. Its a few degrees cooler up here both summer and winter and we think the slightly colder weather in the winter more than makes up for this in the hotter summer time. Renting is probably your best option until you get a feel for the place.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 21:42:59 PM »
Thanks all, we are looking forward to september when we can have a look at some properties. Is there anyone you recommend for a long term rental for 2 or more bedrooms?

Are  many of the houses insulated ? Do all the houses have wood burners or fires?

Which areas are more prone to winter flooding.

Feeling positive about the place.

Thanks
Bernie

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 22:47:04 PM »
Slickmrs I think that you will find that most properties in Ovacik are built for summer living so insulation is not a big thing, that said I believe that once a wood burner is installed this makes a big difference.
With regards to flooding, this is not normally an issue in Ovacik as the majority of properties are built on the side of the mountain so whilst there can be lots of rainwater running down the mountain in the winter it normally runs by down into the valley rather than flooding properties.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »
The main thing to worry about in Ovacik isn't the flooding, it's whether the roads they laid in the spring will still be there after the winter rains. 

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 18:55:09 PM »
Gosh lots to think about, but still feeling positive.
We are back in september, so i ,m sure I will have lots of questions.
Thanks all, really looking forward to finding out about the are
Thanks all
Bernie

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 19:06:28 PM »
Not fancy Fethiye?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf