Author Topic: Where is Rabbit Island?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Where is Rabbit Island?
« on: January 09, 2010, 16:00:02 PM »
Just seen some photos Linda put on but have never heard of it :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 16:18:23 PM »
Its one of the stops on the island trips from Fethiye, there's loads on Red island too, all sitting along the shore, but you have to swim across so cant get photos. Its strange because I have done boat trips loads of times and never stopped there before, well worth checking to see if you'll be stopping there. We went with Carole and Tayfun on this occasion, it was slightly dearer but better lunch too!

Fascinating to see them interacting with the chickens. My step mum used to have loads of rabbits and used to have to let them all out at different times because some fought with others, clearly the rabbits in Turkey are friendlier!

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 17:42:51 PM »
Thanks Linda, I'll certainly check on our next boat trip

Offline tiddly winks

Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 22:39:19 PM »
Oh I LOVED Rabbit Island!
When we stopped, two of the guys working on the bost went and caught a baby rabbit and brought it onboard. It was so cute!

kayakebab - we went with Carole and Tayfun as well, were very good. Should be going with them later this year :D

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 22:51:54 PM »
we have been to a rabbit island not far from bodrum
the rabbits where hiding

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 22:55:10 PM »
 :-\err posted twice
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 22:56:11 PM by puma »

Offline farmer

Where is Rabbit Island?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
It seems there are any number of " Rabbit " islands  around the south west coast of Turkey.
Perhaps the most outstanding example is the one at Gumusluk, which is 6 km north of Turgutries on the Bodrum peninsula. From the village of Gumusluk you wade 100 meters across the bay to the scrub and thorn-bush covered island " island ".
It is possible to see no rabbits at all on this island, as many a visitor has complained.
All you need to do is lift up the lower branches of the bushes, and you will generally see a family of rabbits under each one! They do not seem to burrow - just to huddle together in the only shade available.
There is little natural edible vegetation, and the villagers feed them, buying supplies paid for by donations from visitors.
The beachside fish restaurants are the best I have ever come across: the trick seems to be to watch where an incoming fishing ties up and to pick the live fish of your choice before it is even landed. You can't get fresher than that!
Rabbit  is never on the Menu.
Farmer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf