Author Topic: Noisy Dogs!  (Read 15796 times)

Offline suec

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »
We have a lovely Turkish dog that we got from the rescue centre , he only ever barks for a reason at night if someone is around, which was never very often but the last couple of weeks he has been very unsettled which worried us as we thought it may have been the prowlers that have been around lately.
When we sat with him to see what the problem was, it was the Jandarma walking past which they have only just started doing. a good thing i know but they kept hanging aroung shining thier torches and blowing whistles at him . It takes us a while to settle him now . Its always the same time dead on 10pm.
Im not an irrisponsible owner I love my dog , he wont settle in the house and we do worry about upsetting the nieghbours.
Its quite worrying when you read some of these post "We should have him put down and perhaps ourseves too .."
We like to think that he is a deterant to the burgulars that have been plagueing Uzumlu lately...

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
Yes I am hoping our dogs are a deterrent too.  Our Turkish neighbours tell us that they appreciate  the fact that our dogs don't keep them awake at night. Lets face it, there's barking and there's BARKING [:(!]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:15:40 AM by Rindaloo »

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
The advice to leave Turkey if you don't like what is happening is totally over simplistic.

Dogs barking means two things; irresponsible owners & unhappy dogs! Fact!

I have two dogs that I keep under control i.e. I do not allow them to disturb others.

The call to prayer is not a problem to me, it is part of Turkey & it's history & religion.........barking dogs 24/7 is not part of anyones culture it is, purely & simply, totally irresponsible owners!

A Turkish girl I know recently had her dog (Pasha, the Sultan Hamam dog) attacked by 3 street dogs outside the shops in Calis. The poor thing was bleeding from the attack & when the girl interviened they jumped up on her. When dogs, either street or "owned" behave like this it is dangerous & the dog then has to be controlled, either by confining it or putting it down.

The suggestion that dogs have to bark continuously to prevent burglars is absolute poppycock! Using this type of "logic" would result in fire alarms & burglar alarms sounding all the time, just in case!

Or, perhaps as burglaries seem to be the norm in Turkey we should just accept that too? Maybe I should leave my doors open to make it easier for them to steal from me?

Offline BM06

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
albaman, i agree with your first sentence, does seem a bit drastic to return to the UK just because a dog will not stop barking!! but as some have pointed out, how does the silly saying go...... your in Turkey now (reach)........just do what most Turks would do, shoot it.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
quote:
albaman, i agree with your first sentence, does seem a bit drastic to return to the UK just because a dog will not stop barking!!

But for albaman it is not just the dogs, he has only lived here for a few months and every time (it seems) he posts on here, it is to try and change something, his mangement of the complex, the rules regarding aquiring vehicles, now the dogs. This is Turkey, it is the turks country, they will do things their way, not how we want because we come from the UK. Even the dogs are a fact of life, in Fethiye, Calis, Uzumlu Ovacik, the turks seem to put up with it, in THEIR country. We have the dogs barking around us the cocks crowing at all hours, the call to prayer from 3 mosques within hearing distance, after a while you just don't seem to hear them any more, like living on a main road in the UK, I don't suppose the turks living in the UK try and stop the traffic at night so they can sleep.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
Albaman - we have never had a real problem with this as we have neved "lived" in our apartment for more than 3-weeks (about to change  :)) but you make some good points particularly If it were a street dog then I am of the opinion that it should be put down as it is just a nuisance to everyone. The same thing should happen to aggresive dogs that roam free terrorising other dogs & people. which I know would be hard for some animal lovers to accept and I welcome their views.

Philrose seems to have provided some constructive advice but I am getting a little disappointed with the continuing "if you don't like it you know what to do" responses - as I said on another thread there are lots of individual & genuine grievances that should be thoroughly debated on the forum so as to arrive at a blanced view whether or not it is: The rate of Interest / Work Permits / Demolitions / Driving Regulations / Road Tax / Cement Works etc

Ian

Offline col

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
Lets hope for Albaman's sake and other people living here, and not only in Calis, and also not only English residents that the Zabita will do something, and not let the complaint fall on deaf ears because you are not Turkish!

quote:
Originally posted by philrose

If you report it to the Zabita they will pay a visit to your neighbour. I believe that the proceedure is first a warning and then fines if the warning is ignored.

Offline BM06

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
Like i said Barry do what the Turkish would do, its Turkey, shoot it

Offline tiddly winks

Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »
Like Diverbaz has said, you do get used to it.

I live in England, theres two dogs up the road that bark most of the night and at least once a week there is a catfight outside my house.
I get most of the noise because I have the front room, but now I barely notice it.

Just takes time  :)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Noisy Dogs!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
For nearly 6 years we had a Mosque at the front of our house and a field at the back with chickens and Cockerels,
Our neighbours all Turkish and dog owners, Turkish rarely have dogs indoors, so, anything that happens to pass the property sets a dog off, or the stray will start to bark setting the neighbours dog off again, does that make the Turkish owner a bad owner? Of course not!!

Another case of a Whinging foreigner,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf