Author Topic: Calis Things to do please  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Andy777

Calis Things to do please
« on: February 21, 2010, 17:52:05 PM »
We will be staying in Ceren Hotel in June, we have stayed there before.
Hired a car to go to Saklikent gorge and next day drove up into the mountains.

Does anyone know some nice places to go ie: waterfalls, immpressive dams, spectacular mountain views by car. Preferably max of 3hrs each way.

Also does anyone know if I can hire a fast boat(self driven) nr calis?
Or perhaps a jet ski?

Any good markets?

Or other things that are different to visit?

May have a go at horse riding...

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 19:24:58 PM »
If you have a car,take the D400 towards Antalya and at Kemer roudabout go straight across on the D350 towards Antalya. You will reach a turning right towards Seki some way further on and if you go right there, go straight on past the big apple statue at the edge of the village and stay on the road up towads Elmali. Lovely views and even though the road is narrow it is not a white knuckle ride.When you reach Elmali (Elma means apple) there are some pleasant cafes in gardens there if you want a lunch break. Very nice mosque (dress carefully and women cover there heads).Go through the town and bear right on the Finike road at the end of the town. You will see a huge dam on the right, I think it is lake Kara. When you have passed this look out for the turning for Kalkan and you will eventually wind down the mountains into Kalkan.The D400 can be picked up again at Kalkan and this takes you back to Fethiye. It is a good journey for a picnic.  :)

Another good trip is to go back towards Dalaman airport on the D400 again and stay on this past Dalaman going towards Marmaris.  If you go straight on towards Marmaris you will reach Koycegiz and if you bear right on the turn off into the village it will take you on an underpass into Koycegiz by the lake.Nice place to wander around. There are boat trips there and cafes by the lake. Market day is Monday I think and the market is all through the streets. If you go past Koycegiz on the D400 and do not turn off look out for a left turn for Kurkular and that is a lovely journey around the lake to the sea where there is a beach.The mud baths are on this road they are called Sultaniye.Koycegiz is famous for citrus fruit and you can buy grapefruit,lemons and oranges by the sack load here.

If you are here in June the cherry festival may be on in  Nif. The road from Fethiye goes from Fethiye up to Uzumlu and then you want the Denizli road to Nif. It is a wide road up the mountains with plenty of views. There is a market garden owned by two British men up there which has a restaurant. The cherries grown in the area are huge and delicious.  :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 20:06:59 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 21:27:33 PM »
Try reading through this link for loads of ideas. Enjoy!
{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}19732&SearchTerms=Things,you,must,do

Offline Andy777

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 22:00:59 PM »
I will google around your replies and have a think. Thanks guys and gals for the advice.

Would like to see more GPS co-ords for places on forums to give me confidence o getting to places.

I may have to list a few when we get back if it help other people.
Google earth co-ords are not that accurate.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
Make sure you also have plenty of petrol and do not let it get too near empty.There are often two or three petrol stations in an area and then none for miles if you leave the main roads. In the summer take plenty of drinking water too.  :)If you are not confident about driving Kemer is easy to reach by dolmus.There is a place called Kemer Park which is a large restaurant and it has panoramic views over the area. It is in the village and you may need to ask for directions from the locals. The village also has a pleasant restaurant and bar next to the river. It is not a tourist area but there are a number of British buying houses there and there are some shops to look in. Market day is Friday.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:24:08 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Andy777

Would like to see more GPS co-ords for places on forum

[?] What does this mean please?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 13:08:46 PM »
it's map references Toky

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 14:49:33 PM »
GPS means Global Positioning System and is a ||U.S. radio navigation system which gives position and time.

I buy a map or just wander about aimlessly and hope for the best!:D

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
I always seem to get lost on my days out in Turkey, makes it more fun somehow!! :D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
Andy - if it's your first time driving in Turkey, I think the GPS co-ordinates might well be the least of your worries ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:04:32 AM by Highlander »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf