Author Topic: Calis Things to do please  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Andy777

Calis Things to do please
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
No I always hire a car at least for a few days to see the country, done hundreds of miles in spain france turkey, 3500 in canada/Alaska, goa etc. But broke down twice in turkey on the sme day and it was fun trying to explain where we were!!! On a really busy junction too!
I use GPS all day and used them before they all had maps in, just gives me a secure feeling of not being hopelessly lost!
Also to mark scenic places so I can save co-ords or look up on google earth later.

Offline Andy777

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:04:50 PM »
I do recall ending up stuck in sand and had to be helped out! Very nice bunch of guys on the beach quickly came to our rescue!

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 13:00:49 PM »
This may seem a silly question but what kind of head covering is suitable for a woman to wear when visiting a mosque? I presume a normal hat/cap wouldnt be appropriate. I have always wanted to go inside a mosque but i'm not sure how things are done and i wouldnt want to offend anybody through ignorance. Am i right in thinking that the ankles should be covered aswell and that you have to take your shoes off?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 13:03:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Andy777

No I always hire a car at least for a few days to see the country,

Have fun then :)

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 13:58:53 PM »
If you visit a mosque then women must cover their head usually with a scarf so that all hair is covered - most mosques have a supply that you can use but it is better to take your own just in case.  Also shoulders and arms must be covered so no skimpy T shirts,  also shorts are not appropriate as legs must also be covered but again most have some skirts you can use, usually peasant type ones with elasticated waists.  Women must dress modestly and not show bare flesh.  As you enter the mosque you take off your shoes and leave them at the entrance and walk round barefoot.  Its well worth the experience as there are some beautiful mosques.

Janet

Offline Chinook

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 14:28:12 PM »
quote:
Google earth co-ords are not that accurate

How accurate do you want to be or are you saying that it varies from the lat/long position shown on your GPS? If the latter this could for a number of reasons including

• is your GPS unit set to the same Global Grid Reference as Global Earth or the maps that you are looking at.The charts on my boat are produced  to different GGR and if I do not correct my GPS unit my position can be a mile or two out when plotted.  
  • height above sea level: GPS satellites assume that the earth is round and many GPS units do not have automatic height adjustment. Not a great problem in the UK but can be in Turkey when you can be nearly 1000m above sea level within minutes of leaving the coast.

• GPS is only as accurate as the US Government sets it. Not many years ago they incorporated built in errors but stopped after users started buying correction units.They also turn it off occassionally.

This is a much more detailed explanation for what is probably the greatest use by normal folks of Einsteins Theory of Relativity ( never thought I'd get that onto CBF 8):D)

http://www.kowoma.de/en/gps/errors.htm

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 14:34:51 PM by Chinook »

Offline Andy777

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 18:19:40 PM »
Thanks Chinook, I should really have said the placemarks on google earth are not accurate.
I have used co-ord`s quite a bit when I got my boat licence but when for example looking up geocaches on google earth they are often in the wrong place and can actually move! Geocaches are hidden boxes that you go and find with a gps.
The co-ords taken when a cache is placed are normally quite good(depends on the user)so I can normally get with a metre or 2.
Maybe GE is better now. I guess I will find out...

Do you fly a Chinook or a radio controlled one???

Offline Chinook

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 18:28:55 PM »
quote:

Do you fly a Chinook or a radio controlled one???

Only fly when the cruising chute is up :)

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 23:16:44 PM »
thanks janet.gur, it sounds lovely, different cultures fascinate me so id love to visit a mosque.

Offline Kapitan

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
Hey Laurie, I can accompany you if you like.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf