Author Topic: Calis Market?  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Calis Market?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
Beware though Alig some of us members have noticed that a lot of the stall holders are asking ridiculously high prices this year for a lot of items (I think there is another thread running on here about it) and dont seem quite so open to the haggling experience as of times gone by! Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Offline AliG

Calis Market?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 19:59:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Don't think you'll get much for your lire AliG ;)

Highlander - don't mean to sound 'stupid' but do you mean it is better to use sterling? or do you mean prices have gone up!  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Calis Market?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 20:06:44 PM »
You can use Sterling or Lira at the market.  The Market is really cheap for fruit and vegetables, but the clothes, shoes etc., are not as cheap as they used to be and you will probably get a better bargain in the shops in Fethiye which sell the same things.
Go to this thread to read about the Market {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}36168&SearchTerms=haggle

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Calis Market?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 23:46:52 PM »
Dont really go to the market unless we are taking people who have never been before, but when we did, I always made sure I had sterling with me, because the traders would quote you in lira and then say it was only a "fiver", to make it easier for you, and if you had the exchange rate correct in your head, you were actually getting things alot cheaper, and pass them the five or tenner, and DID end up with a bargain. ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Market?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by AliG

I hear the 'haggling' is an experience - is it true you just offer ridiculously low prices and see what happens!!!! Have also heard that BOE is preferred to lire?

offer ridculously low prices and prepare to be called a gypsy! Just reporting what happens at Hisaronu market that also sells more of the same....

You get what you pay for anywhere in the world and turkish shops and markets are no different. Cheap tat is cheat tat, quality goods whether t-shirts, shoes, leather bags, hand crafts and whatever else are not in the same price bracket as cheat tat.

It depends on what you want too - if just want a t shirt to last the hols then you probably wouldn't want to pay much but if for example you want something like a bedspread that you want to last years expect to pay more especially if it is hand woven as opposed to churned out on a machine.   ;)

These days people tend to want Turkish lira - no one is holding out much hope for an improved exchange rate soon.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Calis Market?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 13:19:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by AliG

quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Don't think you'll get much for your lire AliG ;)

Highlander - don't mean to sound 'stupid' but do you mean it is better to use sterling? or do you mean prices have gone up!  8)

It is I who's the stupid one Ali for not knowing that lire is the plural of lira DOH :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Lynn Hurst

Calis Market?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 22:00:58 PM »
I got bags, sandals, belts last time from the market in Hisaranou, they were all 3 for £10. 2 bags, 3 belts, and 2 pairs of sandals are still going strong :). Not bad for 30 quid! problem is I need to fetch an empty case this year:D. I also got some very good towels. Is the market in Calis the same as the 1 in H, and is there a bar nearby for the o/h. :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Calis Market?
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 22:25:55 PM »
In all my years here I have never been to Çalis market.

Hisaronu is like Fethiye market but smaller and with a very much smaller fruit and veg selection.

It is considerably more expensive to buy fruit and veg in Hisaronu market as opposed to Fethiye on a Tuesday but still the best prices at the Village market in Fethiye on Fridays.

Same location as Tuesday market - more interesting for me than any of the other markets.

Offline yabanci

Calis Market?
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
And better prices :)

Offline dycedon

Calis Market?
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 13:47:37 PM »
There are a few bars and a hotel nearby, the cafe inn, good grub, cafe pazar across from cafe inn, grub ok but a better bar atmosphere and along from the cafe inn is i think it is called the palms, you will be most welcome in there also, food good and all staff great, im ahamed of myself ive got a mental block and cant remember the hotels name, ive been a few times as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf