Author Topic: nice way to spend an hour  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Ally B

nice way to spend an hour
« on: May 27, 2015, 17:37:07 PM »
My wife and I spent the best part of an hour at the patisserie at the dolphinless roundabout today. I had a latte and a piece of cheesecake and my wife had a black coffee and a piece of tiramisu,both cakes were lovely. The free entertainment was supplied by the Turkish drivers trying to negotiate the roundabout.It was indeed an education.  The first thing I learnt was if you are a cyclist red traffic lights mean you can just go straight through. The second thing was if you drive a scooter you can drive on any side of the road and don't need a helmet. The third thing was the longer and louder you sound your horn you have right of way. The last thing I learnt was that I will never drive in Turkey. I take my hat off to those of you who do but it is not for me. I don't want to drive about theCalis/Fethiye area with soiled underwear. Keep safe.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: nice way to spend an hour
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 18:00:05 PM »
Cakes sound fab,I had a nice thin pastry type thingy from there with feta and I think spinach in it..
I have sat on the opposite side of the road to you at the Ametist and watched the same goings on, in the end I said to one of the waitersi cant look anymore and had to resort to covering my eyes at some point!
I too have just never been brave enough to drive in Turkey ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 18:03:01 PM »
We spent a good 6 years driving in Turkey. The hardest part was adapting back when we returned to the UK.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 18:03:21 PM »
We too have sat and watched the roundabout from the same spot - mesmerised, sometimes horrified and frequently bemused.  We reached the same conclusion about driving in Turkey. 

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 18:18:58 PM »
When I drove in Turkey I found the best part was spot the cow being herded across the road late at night. The odd stray horse was also possible particularly in the winter months.

Daytime was a doddle because you knew the rules were anything is allowed so watch out and were always alert.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 18:55:26 PM »
One of the things I grew to hate in Turkey was the lack of respect for the rules of the road

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 20:19:12 PM »
Totally agree KKOB.. much prefer to drive here.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 21:30:37 PM »
Did you notice the design fault on scooters and cars Ally. The lack of working indicators!!!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 22:52:19 PM »
their carrot cake is so delicious

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 22:52:29 PM »
I always say to Phil, not to blame the Turkish drivers, it is not there fault that the Government does not have them taught to drive properly. 
I also always cringe when I see chlldren standing up in the front and backs of cars.  Yesterday one children was standing up with her head out of the back window.
There should be a programme on Turkish T.V. to show parents what happens to unrestrained children in cars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf