Author Topic: the price of wine  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: the price of wine
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 23:36:46 PM »
If you think it's expensive, why pay for it??

Because we're on holiday, and because that's how much it costs.

Offline Lynne09

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
We are feddup of being ripped off with the price of wine so from now on we will look at price of wine before deciding if we are staying.  Went in Motto in Calis a few days ago & cannot fault the food but the cheapest bottle of wine was 60 lira for Idol which we buy in supermarket for 16 lira so won't be going back, also Denis Hotel on Calis charged us 80 lira a bottle until we contested it then reduced our total bill by 100 lira so that's off our list as well. They say tourism is down but they are ripping off the people who are still coming, I will be drinking the wine in my villa unless it is a reasonable price although I love wine with a meal!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
They say tourism is down but they are ripping off the people who are still coming

That's Turkonomics.

Offline St. Pauli

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
Each Restaurant worldwide makes the profit with the drinks and not with the food.
In Germany if you order a bottle of sparkling water (in addition to the wine) you pay EUR 7. The same bottle costs EUR 0,5 in the supermarket.

Beck's -> 1 : 5
Wine -> 1 : 4

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
from now on we will look at price of wine before deciding if we are staying. 

We always look at the menu/pricelist before deciding to eat or drink anywhere for the first time, especially in capital cities and tourist resorts, and if not in an English speaking country avoid menus written in English - get the local language menu. 

Wine has always been expensive to buy in restaurants (tourist areas) in Turkey, and most of it is pretty poor quality stuff that wouldn't make it onto the Asda 3 for a tenner shortlist.  If you choose to buy a bottle of wine at 100tl then you're not getting ripped off, you've made the choice - if you don't ask the price before ordering, again you're not getting ripped off you've just made a bad decision.  It doesn't matter how much it costs in Migros...

Saying that, like most things in Turkey we've always treated the first price offered simply as a starting point  :)  if you think the wine is overpriced tell them; offer what you think its worth, to you.  Even better if you use a bit of Turkish, they like that  :)

JF

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
Having worked in the hotel / restaurant trade in the UK, for most of my working life, the average gross profit on liquor is 70%. Taking the 16tl supermarket price as being the cost price (in £), that equates to £53.33. Add on VAT at 20% that's another £10.66, so the same bottle of wine would be £63.99, or more likely £64 / £65 in the UK.

Why does it only become a rip off if it's in Turkey, especially if you've seen the price before you order??

Offline Christie

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 13:23:24 PM »
We holiday in Spain in the Winter, and in a four star hotel only pay 6 Euro for a perfectly nice red house wine, so when we go over to Calis/Fethiye we notice the wine is more expensive.  We realise the restaurants have to make a profit but have to say last year we just ordered a glass of wine rather than the bottle of wine that we used to order a few years back.  We always found Bella Mama quite good for wine prices - I enjoy wine with my meal but not at any price. 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 13:26:30 PM »
The price of a meal out in Turkey is so cheap that having some wine with it and paying more for the wine is fine with me.  We would never eat out in the U.K and pay so little for such good food as we do in Turkey.
We are on holiday and we want to enjoy ourselves.

Offline casacluggo

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 17:43:46 PM »
I would think you still have your English head on. As you know when you go to the market, the price of food is considerably cheaper than here in blighty, plus the business people will get their produce even cheaper,not to mention the low wage costs. But then it is the same in any holiday resort, holidaymakers have money to spend and that, as you know keeps them thro` the winter.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 18:14:33 PM »
I have my British head on.   Of course food is cheaper in Turkey that is a given.  However, it does not change the fact that eating out is so cheap, that buying alcohol with a meal, still works out cheaper for us than a meal out in the U.K.  So, as we are on holiday and we only live once.  We will buy wine, enjoy it and not complain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf