Author Topic: green sea  (Read 19343 times)

Offline WendyA

Re: green sea
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 17:13:27 PM »
Yes, there are obviously a whole lot of issues here but they really must be addressed - and very soon - regardless of cost! Once, as is starting to happen, the problem is known out of the area, it will devastate tourism and the businesses in the area.  I saw a Turk had put a photo of Calis Beach on facebook today with virtually no one on it. If tourists won't go in early August then there is already a big problem. It is obviously going to be expensive to fix but instead of trying to hide the issue everyone involved needs to get moving and be seen to be doing something about it. Widespread media coverage will create a smear that Calis will not be able to clear itself of for years. I feel very sorry for the local businesses and hope that they are objecting strongly about the situation to the right people. The more outrage there is seen to be, the more pressure will be applied. (I feel I am going to be embarrassed bringing visitors out to stay with me next month. 😢 ;)

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 21:53:04 PM »
There’s a report in the press today of a couple who holidayed at the TUI Sensitory 5 star resort having contracted dysentery and spent 3 days on drips in the hospital.  The couple said they hadn’t eaten anywhere else other than the hotel BUT did they go to the beach or swim in the sea.  This could get very nasty.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 22:01:36 PM »
Ray 1951.....

Can you clarify your second sentence please.

Did the couple say one way or the other that they went to the beach and/or swam in the sea.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 22:11:49 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 22:57:07 PM »
There’s a report in the press today of a couple who holidayed at the TUI Sensitory 5 star resort having contracted dysentery and spent 3 days on drips in the hospital.  The couple said they hadn’t eaten anywhere else other than the hotel BUT did they go to the beach or swim in the sea.  This could get very nasty.

I've only been saying it for 20 years but it is misinformation like this that plays the biggest part in threatening the lives and livelihoods of businesses, owners, barmen, waiters, cleaners and all the other good folk working in tourism in Turkey.

If anyone bothered to take the time to read the article, they will see that the current issue with the sea would not have caused this couple to become ill - they holidayed in the Sensatori in September 2016 - coming up to three years ago now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-contract-dysentery-five-star-18837900

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
Even the Daily Fail have managed to get the story right.

"After returning home to Norwich in September 2016 they had nearly a year long series of repeated correspondence and phone calls...."

Offline lissa

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2019, 10:43:56 AM »
There isn't an article in Fethiye times online on the statement made by the former mayor, Behcet Saatci, and the algae bloom. Interesting reading.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
There is !

Offline lissa

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
Don't quite know how I managed to put there isn't an article, meant to say there is an article in Fethiye times online!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
  ;) It's a good job some of us are on the ball.   ;)

Offline PaulJ

• Newly Registered
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2019, 14:38:35 PM »
This all sounds horrific and I really feel for the local businesses and tourists alike.

If it's man-made pollution - rather than a simple algal bloom - then tracing the cause(s) could be a long, protracted process. Once traced, eradicating those causes might also prove difficult as disposing of whatever it is that's causing the green stuff in a safe / more environmentally acceptable way might be a lot more expensive than those creating the problem can afford.

I've seen a few references to this situation in UK press / internet since booking our holiday a couple of weekends ago.  Although I'm not yet sufficiently concerned to re-book somewhere else, if the pollution is genuinely harmful and if the seafood / fish is caught locally and sold in the market / served in local restaurants, it's easy to see how it might actually cause (or be wrongly blamed for) illnesses. 

I really hope that the Turkish government fully engages with this situation and sorts it out as quickly as possible - for the locals more than anything - as most tourists won't take risks with their / their kids' health.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf