Author Topic: Çaliş Beach up for auction! And an update on Ölüdeniz beaches.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Çaliş Beach goes under the hammer later this month (26th I think but don't hold me to that) auctioned off to the highest bidder in a public auction.

The begs the question is this a good or a bad thing?

Revenue from sun loungers and umbrellas that could have been used to make improvements locally will be lost to private profit if a private company wins.

However it could mean saying goodbye to the disgusting state of the beach that has prevailed year in and year out and see it completely transformed.

I assume that there is nothing to stop local businesses or the council participating in the auction if they want to.

In Ölüdeniz the awarding of the beach to a private company has passed mostly unnoticed. An unpublicised public meeting organised a couple of weeks ago was unsurprisingly poorly attended.

As a result of the change of management, yesterday all sun loungers and brollies were removed from Ölüdeniz beaches and allegedly public facilities like the toilets have been locked.

MELSA who have previously managed the beach also for profit with little if any money going back into local infrastructure improvements had been involved in recent meetings where it was allegedly agreed that some money would go to support a couple of new infrastructure projects in the area.

In the meantime it's towels on the beach and a potential opportunity for local business owners to make a bomb selling beach umbrellas   ;)

Offline tails77

• Newly Registered
Re: Çaliş Beach up for auction! And an update on Ölüdeniz beaches.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
It would be nice to see Calis beach improved over time. I hope Olu beach is all sorted out soon ready for my August visit. I like the fact that facilities are close by!!!   :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 14:21:12 PM »
So in short then, things could get better on Calis Beach, but at a price that will almost certainly directly  fall on the tourist, but then again it could get worse, but at a price that will almost certainly directly fall on the tourist.

Or it could stay as it is and things continue to go from bad to worse, as both the resort and the beach continue to decline over time.  It's all the economics and government policy of the madhouse, if you want my opinion.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 15:46:48 PM »
Calis beach has one potential jewel in the crown that Olu doesn't have and that's it's sea turtle nesting sites, however, these sites are in danger by the way the beach is managed at present. Maybe the new owners will see the potential they have with this natural gift and embrace the opportunity, or maybe they won't give a toss and litter the beach with sun beds that stay in situ 24/7 and make it almost impossible for the turtles to nest.

I notice the Calis taxi stand are erecting a big turtle monument, let's hope that this isn't the only place we will see this amazing animal in future years.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 17:15:57 PM »
In Ölüdenız yesterday there was a fracas on the beach, the rubbish hasn't been collected and the water and electric has been turned off    :o

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 19:38:33 PM »
I can't believe this has happened in the middle of the season.   >:( >:(

We were there in May and the spot we usually spend the day did not have the sunbeds out. 

Personally I am gutted as I love lying listening to the waves and watching the mad folk jump off Babadag.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 22:33:54 PM »
Well Heather you'll be pleased to know that as of today brightly coloured sun beds are now in place on Ölüdeniz beaches    :)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 23:13:11 PM »
Well Heather you'll be pleased to know that as of today brightly coloured sun beds are now in place on Ölüdeniz beaches     :)

phew!!! ..see. You in August..xx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf