Author Topic: The World Martial Arts Final  (Read 2198 times)

Offline dulux

The World Martial Arts Final
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 22:54:00 PM »
The reason Webb got to ref the final was because he was in no doubt the best referee out there.Had he not been another ref would have sent off players from both sides and it would have been a more terrible game than it already was.As it turned out he made the right decisions for a world cup final.And in the end the best team won.But on saying that both teams should be ashamed of themselves for the way they fouled eachother.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 00:52:07 AM »
Webb was on a hiding to nothing. If he had sent 2 dutch players off in the first half he would have been seen as spoiling the world cup final. Most of Webbs decisions were the right. The Dutch went out with a game plan of kicking the Spanish into submission. Their tactics were more akin to the Chopper Harris and Norman Hunter style than to the modern game.

If I was Dutch I would be ashamed of my team especially as they were the first European team to give us total football. I remember going to see England play Holland in a friendly in about 1975 at Wembley and I was totally mesmerized by the way the Dutch played. They scored 2 goals in the first 20 minutes and every time they attacked they totally panicked England.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
The Leeds of the early 70's would have shown those dutch how to tackle ;-)

Poor game.Yes the Dutch were dirty but the Spaniards were just as expected - girly players who managed to roll around at the slightest touch... like... well girls!

The ref did his best to keep the game flowing and not make it into a farce - he got most decisions correct in my view. Who wants an abandoned WCF?

Offline AndyLin

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

The Leeds of the early 70's would have shown those dutch how to tackle ;-)

Poor game.Yes the Dutch were dirty but the Spaniards were just as expected - girly players who managed to roll around at the slightest touch... like... well girls!

I cannot agree that the Spaniards played like girls(sic). I thought that they reacted well to severe provocation ( and I was supporting the Dutch to start with). Also, for me, the goal of the tournament was Puyol's header in the semi; the timing and sheer fearlessness of his header was superb.
Also, I have played rugby against girls and would say that the expression 'played like girls' is a bit outmoded . :D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
"Also, I have played rugby against girls and would say that the expression 'played like girls' is a bit outmoded . "

.. and I've seen girl rugby players in the flesh - not something I would compare to the Spanish players as the girls would be most upset ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:08:43 AM by stoop »

Offline javacoffee

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 20:57:42 PM »
Webb gets my vote, total football... my ar@e, the Dutch are just mardy bums and bad sports. Viva Espania.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf