Author Topic: I'm ashamed  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« on: April 20, 2011, 22:35:29 PM »
At what's happening to Niel Lennon (and others) in my country:(.

I'm equally appalled that it's reported as sectarianism in Scotland:(.

As far as I am aware, it's a West of Scotland problem not a national one:(.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 22:52:06 PM »
Can you enlighten me H, i've been on the english footy, and just watching the end of Ronaldos glory.
:P

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 22:58:32 PM »
Its ok, sorted now,

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 22:58:33 PM »
I imagine it's more of a one nutter on the loose problem than a West of Scotland one H

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
I'm ashamed
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 23:27:18 PM »
It is indeed shameful and it could have been a very different outcome if the explosives hadn't been intercepted. Scary!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

I'm ashamed
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:16 AM »
I do not know what else can you call it but sectarianism. It was sent to the manager of Celtic and it is very likely that it was sent by a Rangers supporter or supporters.Both clubs history is steeped in the nationalist and the orange order traditions. Celtic flies the tricolour and the most famous song the Fields of Athenry is a nationalist song. Although religion is not that important in relation to the players as there are Catholics and Protestants playing for both clubs it certainly has not changed on the terraces.It seems that Rangers are up before UEFA after every match because of the sectarian behaviour of the fans.

I have had the pleasure of working in Glasgow many times and once had the opportunity to attend an Old Firm derby. I was never so scared in all my life because if that barrier keeping both sets of supporters apart had collapsed there would have been murder.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I'm ashamed
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »
It's a sad situation and reflects badly on Scotland as to how the world views our football.  I think that all Tricolour flags and all Union flags should be banned from Scottish matches, only team flags should be allowed. This would be a first step, as waving these flags is just sectarianism, to show what relgion you are and nothing to do with football.  It would be a first step on the ladder.

Offline sandgrounder

I'm ashamed
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ovacikpeedoff

the most famous song the Fields of Athenry is a nationalist song.

It's not a nationalist song. It's a Folk song that has been adopted by a lot of Irish sports teams.

"The Fields of Athenry" is an Irish folk ballad set during the Great Irish Famine (1845-1850) about a fictional man named Michael from near Athenry in County Galway who has been sentenced to transportation to Botany Bay, Australia, for stealing food for his starving family.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:34:02 AM by sandgrounder »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
I'm ashamed
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
Ah sandgrounder, my mother used to sing it when I was small. She sang it so sweetly and I can't believe it's been bludgeoned and turned into a football anthem. It bears no resemblence to the way i heard it sung as a child. Completely ruined a lovely folk song.
:D

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

I'm ashamed
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »
It is a nationalist song. Buy any CD of republican songs and it is one of the songs that you will find on the CD.It has been adopted by the sports teams of the Republic but it still has nationalistic undertones.The Irish supporters sing it because it is a good song. The Irish in full voice and it brings tears to the eyes.It is a song in relation to the treatment of the Irish peasants by English landlords during the Famine in the 1850s. Just read some history about what happened during the famine where tenant farmers were thrown off their lands because they could not pay their rents. 2 million people died of starvation and it was the beginning of mass immigration. I do not want to get into a political debate about the rights and wrongs and the roles of British landowners in Ireland in 1850s or the relationships between Ireland and the UK. It is these types of debates that do nothing to bring harmony. They are history and they should remain history. They should not be forgotten but should not be the domineering factor of the 21st century. Although not perfect we have a period of relative stability in Northern Ireland and let us hope that it will last.

In the past few years there have been major strides taken in developing relations between the UK and Ireland. We have seen rugby played in the home of Gaelic football which is also a shrine to the fight for Irish independence.This may seem little but to an Irishman this is a major step forward. There is the upcoming visit of the Queen to Ireland. There will be protests by these fanatical republican groups. Speaking as a proud Irishman I am totally confident that the  vast majority of the people of Ireland will have nothing but respect for the Queen and give her a typical Irish welcome. I will be a proud Irishman when the President of Ireland formally welcomes the Queen to Ireland.

On the other side of the coin the British government was the first to put its hand in its pocket and make loans available during the recent financial crisis.

Sectarianism has no place in society and certainly not in sport.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:43:40 AM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf