Author Topic: I'm ashamed  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 16:22:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anne

Most Glaswegians are just as disgusted by the behaviour of these thugs as everyone else.

Anne - I would hope that you know me well enough to know that I don't doubt that for a moment.

Perhaps I should have said that it's a problem caused by a minority who happen to live in the West of Scotland

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 17:51:21 PM »
I wasn't having a dig Mr H just putting my tuppenceworth in:D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 19:14:00 PM »
I have always loved Glasgow and its people and the views of one person did not spoil that.  
Incidentally her daughter married a catholic and she was happy that they were happy.  So even the staunch can change.

Offline michael

I'm ashamed
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 19:30:36 PM »
anne if your from glasgow and never been subject to anti catholic vitroil then you never go out the house or your subject to selective hearing

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 20:34:05 PM »
michael

Anne will speak for herself and believe me I look forward to hearing it, but can you tell me why you felt it necessary to doubt what she said.:(

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 20:48:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by michael

anne if your from glasgow and never been subject to anti catholic vitroil then you never go out the house or your subject to selective hearing

I can assure you Michael I hear perfectly and am able bodied enough to get out and about more than most so I stand by my earlier statement.
What makes you think I'm catholic?  
I didn't say what religion I was.  I SAID we are a mixed family.
Does it surprise you that much that not everyone is Glasgow has been the victim of secetarian abuse?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 20:50:07 PM by Anne »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 20:57:51 PM »
Well put Anne.

After the last few posts, can I suggest that we don't personalise things and confine our comments to the topic subject matter :)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 22:10:00 PM »
It was bad in Liverpool years ago, but not now, I too am from a mixed religion family, so is Kenny, its a bit like the footy, you get the bitter supporters on both sides, they are obviously still about , but not in any places I go,
I have also been to glasgow and we had a great time, we even ended up in a pub we were advised not to go to, (by mistake) but had a good time in there,
and last week I was deeply touched, as I am every year by the presence of both Celtic and Rangers and Everton fans, at the Hillsborough Memorial service, 22 years, and they have been there every year, long may it continue,

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
I'm ashamed
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 22:33:50 PM »
I think there is no answer to this one. Just for the record, I am from the classic Scottish/Irish protestant/catholic parentage. I recall a stand up comedian saying Glasgow should be renamed "Belfast Lite" and there is of course more than a joke in there, but it is a very weak 'lite'. Outside football there is next to nothing to report, but inside football it can be a cauldron of hate and bigotry. Lennon needs to take responsibility as he is clearly a man of very little self control in a position that requires bags and bags of self control - but nobody deserves what he is being subjected to. I hope he is sick to death of seeing his snarling little face with McCoist as I am, and that this is one of the stepping stones needed to clean the football rivalry up.

All that said, bombs sent to people because they manage a certain team - that could be opened by unrelated workers or God forbid children is totally unacceptable. It is also an incredible disbelief that in a place so near to most of us (i.e. in the UK rather than Columbia etc) that a man walking home from a night out can be attacked and beaten because he works for a football club that isn't the one the thugs concerned support.

This is a minority problem in Glasgow/football and as Anne has said, not representative of local society AT ALL. I do have the feeling though, that good will come from it. If Neil Lennon (and Ally McCoist) and others can realise that what they do, the way they behave, can incite or relax the meatheads, then things will start to improve for all.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

I'm ashamed
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 22:34:38 PM »
I think you Scots are beating yourselves up over something that is the work of a mindless minority on both sides. I spent 20 weeks working in Glasgow and I loved every minute of it. Only once did I personally encounter any problems. Our normal drinking establishment was the Drum and Monkey and we never had a problem. One night we went to the Horseshoe and when I ordered a drink i got called a Fenian b.....d. I just ignored him. I love Glasgow and the people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf