Author Topic: Remembering "The Babes"  (Read 909 times)

Offline valleyboy

Remembering "The Babes"
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
I never thought I'd post in the football section (being quite a fanatical rugby union fan), but I would just like to comment on the excellent BBC drama "United" screened on Sunday night.

It provided a poignant reminder into just how talented "The Busby Babes" were, particularly for that era. I kind of knew they were good, but not just how good !; the disaster happened the year I was born, and I didn't know too much about it.

There have been some criticism from Sir Matt's son on how his father was portrayed and also by Harry Gregg about inaccuracies in the production, this aside I thoroughly enjoyed this emotionally charged dramatisation of this sad event.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Remembering "The Babes"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 13:05:08 PM »
Seems it was not just Busby's son that was annoyed,  there are a lot of angry people.  
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1418973_tarnishing-the-busby-memory
However, it was not a documentary, it was a play so this is what happens when things get dramatised.

Offline valleyboy

Remembering "The Babes"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 14:12:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

........... it was not a documentary, it was a play so this is what happens when things get dramatised.

I agree Jacqui, I think the "artistic licence" was used to capture a "mood". The almost sinister characterisations, grubby architecture, smoke filled rooms, coupled with superb acting really played their part in producing this emotional, poignant drama.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 15:07:59 PM by valleyboy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf