Author Topic: Sir Tom Finney  (Read 1523 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Sir Tom Finney
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »
Another football legend leaves us. R. I. P.  Sir Tom. :(

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
Re: Sir Tom Finney
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »
RIP Tom, and thanks.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
Just watch the New on BBC and they told a brief resume of his life.  His Father made him take an apprenticeship and qualify as a Plumber.   He never played for any other team but Preston North End.  In the 50's he was offered a transfer to Palermo for a never heard of fee of £10,000 and £100 per week.  He was getting £14.00 per week from Preston and the gave him a rise of  £6.00 a week and he stayed.
What a great guy and what a difference to the footballers of today in his attitude.
R.I.P. Tom..

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
He was one of a few true gentlemen of that era who stick in my mind, Lofthouse, Mortensen and Matthews. RIP Tom.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
I remember he said it was just a normal job - no Aston Martins and Bentleys back then - he used to travel to home games on the same bus as the fans. Sad to see these gentleman passing on.

Offline villabadem

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 18:51:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks reference Sir Tom the Preston plumber...indeed a true legend, never booked, never swore at the ref, I've met him a few times, what a modest and humble man. Preston's great loss, RIP Tom

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 19:21:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks reference Sir Tom the Preston plumber...indeed a true legend, never booked, never swore at the ref, I've met him a few times, what a modest and humble man. Preston's great loss, RIP Tom

Yes Villabadem he was an apprentice plumber. Apparently he used to take his tools with him to the ground in case any of the other players were in need of a plumber. A true gentleman with class integrity and honour, much lacking in modern day life. He deserves every accolade given to him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf