Author Topic: NATIONWIDE  (Read 13014 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
NATIONWIDE
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
I have been reading the correspondence about the Nationwide and we are thinking of opening an account with them.  Is the Nationwide the only Bank/Building Society who's cards can be used in Turkish A.T.M's without incurring charges?   Also can any A.T.M. be used? and if not which ones can be used?
Thanks
Jacqui.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »
Jacqui
We opened an account for use on holiday and this hols was the first one we relied soley on it without taking cash. Was dead easy and used in all banks we tried. The 2 in calis were actually working and it was a piece of cake and the rate was very good too 2.92 compared to 2.80 at the time in resort.
Also used in Spain this year and excellent Euro exchange. Well worth it. Have set up my current account so that I can transfer to my 'Calis' account via the internet- and its very simple. Any extras or apartment rentals goes straight in via my current which is Nat West to the Nationwide flex account. Would recommend it.

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
I have a First Direct account and I don't incur any bank/transfer charges using it whilst in Turkey
Pete

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »
Nationwide are the only Bank / Building Society that advertise the fact that they don't charge.

Most ATMs accept Nationwide cards if they have Visa facilities. The only one that I found that wouldn't accept ours was the Halikbank machine by the market in Fethiye. But that was a couple of years ago so it might do so now.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 13:32:50 PM »
Hi Cavfan,
You say and I quote  "I can transfer to my 'Calis' account via the internet" exactly what does that mean? do the Nationwide have a facility to put money into an International Account for you?
Thanks
Jacqui.

Offline ausgal

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 11:09:21 AM »
I have only come found one bank that would not give me any money and that was a foriegn bank in Istanbull, I have used my card for 4yrs no hassles, ausgal

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 14:23:21 PM »
Sorry Jacqui that wasnt very clear. What I mean is that I have set up a direct payment facility from my NatWest to my Nationwide- whcih I refer to as the Calis account as thats what its mainly used for . However I think you will find that it is one of the cheapest banks to transfer to foreign accounts from.Although I didnt have my account with them at the time we were transferring money so I'm not sure. There was a ton of info about this a while ago- I bet if you use 'search' you'll find info.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 17:52:35 PM »
No you can't transfer money into an international bank via the Internet.  (unfortuntely) - however, you can transfer money via the Internet from a Turkish account to your UK one!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 20:25:26 PM »
YOu can if you set up the facility with Nationwide BEFORE leaving the UK!

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
NATIONWIDE
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
Have just returned for Calis and used my Nationwide debit and credit card for the 1st time, I took some Lira with me from the Post Office and got 2.55 rate. I changes some at my Bank in Fethiye Finnans and got 2.65, I was suprised with the rate from Nationwide I knew they did not charge for drawing money out,but was suprised when I checked my bank statements, I got the same exchange rate as Finnans bank and no charges. And the same rate when I purchased something using my credit card. in future  will not bother taking a lot of cash.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf