Author Topic: Has Calis lost its appeal?  (Read 26018 times)

Offline Fettlers

• Warrington, UK
Has Calis lost its appeal?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 20:40:22 PM »
We have done the all inclusive in Olu Deniz for the past four years with our young children after visiting Calis for many years when there was just the two of us. The hotel in Olu is full every year and this May was over booked. The food in the hotel is fantastic and is very "Turkish" and for a family of four it is far more cost effective, with the added bonus that we can visit Calis as often as we want.
     As I have spoke about in another post, me and my friend called into Calis on route to dalaman from Kalkan (where by the way was more expensive than Calis to eat out)and I thought that Calis was really busy, in fact the busiest I have seen it for years. The Harem was full and people were waiting for tables and that was 30th June, not even school holidays. Just one more thing that I noticed, our flights were also completely full

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 21:50:02 PM »
"shaking your head in disbelief at stories of people who tried to book a Calis hotel for their holiday - only to find that they didn't respond to any emails, "
I have e-mailed two hotels for availability in September -No reply
I ended up booking with First choice again, but others may just go elsewhere.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 21:52:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

A note of caution though - the TC flights we were on were full both ways - fortunatley 90% of the holidaymakers didn't go to Calis! I'm no snob but there were some right sights on the plane and they were not the sort that would raise the image of Calis.

PMSL  :)

When travelling to and from Calis and whilst in the queue at the arrival/departure check in desk at the airport, we tend to play the 'spot the scratter' game. This involves discreetly looking and listening to people talk. Nine times out of ten you can spot the ones who are going to Mamaris and confirm this by looking at peoples luggage labels !
 ;)

Apologies in advance to any nicely spoken and nicely behaved people who go there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 22:00:50 PM by Jukebox »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 22:03:25 PM »
We were in Fethiye last week. Our transfer driver told us he worked at The Aries for 7 years.

He was a bright lad and said although the Brits were coming in numbers they tended to buy property and not go out as much as "tourists".

He also bemoaned the fact that before the Brits the Germans came on Package Holidays and were prepared to pay more for quality!

He actually said this in a very nice and inoffensive manner without trying to be smart - just stating the facts!

He is also getting married at the end of this month and will have 800 at his 2 day wedding - so a popular chappie!!!

Ian  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 22:05:04 PM »
I hope they turn the music down at a reasonable hour  ;)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 22:21:34 PM »
When he told me he was having 800 at his wedding I didn't like to say I was having 4 (and that includes the bride & groom!!!)

Ian
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:28:04 AM by Ian »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 22:55:21 PM »
Jukebox - I thought they were rough and I'm from Harehills in Leeds!!!!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 05:11:35 AM »
You did not say you were going to bring a bridge with you as well!
Sorry Ian....couldn't resist that one.:D

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 06:29:26 AM »
Brian - deliberate mistake now corrected!

See you in September

Ian

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 09:02:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

Jukebox - I thought they were rough and I'm from Harehills in Leeds!!!!

Thats the point Stoop- so is Jukey!
Some of the sights and sounds we've seen thank goodness they werent Calis wallers!

Scunner said Calis needs to raise its game- have thought that for years they just never get it quite right. Sleeping all winter and then deciding to dig the roads up in May, put in bollards on the main road in June, dont deliver sunbeds and umbrellas till June , an end of the season feel in October- no way is it ever going to be an all year round resort until they get someone on the council who knows about tourism!
I reckon there was a particular year where Calis lost the edge! Round about 10ish years ago they decided to block pave the prom( to what you see now) before that it was just the usual rubbish road. What a great idea I hear you say. Yes it was- but they started it in May. Which meant that people going to their hotels were literally clambering over mounds of rubble. Thompsons pulled out, Thomas Cooks pulled out and moved all their guests en masse- to Olu Deniz. The hotels never recovered. Hotels like the Aytur, Rose Beach( Gul) Malhun, Mendos, Seketur- they used to be full of British tourists every year but they lost the custom after the road debacle! :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf