Author Topic: Mobile phone Simcards  (Read 7352 times)

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
Mobile phone Simcards
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:38:08 AM »
Can anybody throw some light on getting a Turkish simcard for us to use while in Turkey. Info about where to buy one, how much do they cost, do they do "Pay As You Go" & anything else that may be of interest on that subject.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:44:01 AM by Keith »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:19:03 PM »
Mine cost 34,000,000 and you have to buy credits on top of that,you will also have a new phone No. of course,
Tinx

Offline Sinbad

Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 14:35:33 PM »
The 34mil for the card also gave me some credit which seemed to last more than the paltry fiver you might get in the UK if you are lucky.

Offline CMC

• Baildon, Yorkshire, UK
Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 21:15:33 PM »
I bought Turkish sim for 34 mil inc 100 units. One text message = 3 units. 34 mil was about £14.00. I bought it in Fethiye opposite the mosque. The phone shops there check if your phone will take the sim and set it all up for you. When I needed more units, I took it back to them and they did everything for me. It is much cheaper for local calls, also if anyone calls you from the uk, your turkish phone doesn't get charged as is the case with your normal phone.
Christine

Offline McGroogle

Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 11:21:32 AM »
Christine I am a technophobe when it comes to mobile phones so bear with me.

So if you change the sim card in Turkey your number is still the same and you can still be contacted from the UK with the new sim card in place on that number?

Thankss a lot.

McGroogle

Offline Sinbad

Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 19:13:44 PM »
Hi McGroogle
I think I understand what you are saying - Yes if you buy a new sim card it gives you a new phone number for use in Turkey. Keep your UK card in a safe place. Within the settings on the phone you can select the source of your phone book. You use the numbers stored on the sim card or the names and numbers stored on the phones memory or you can also select both sources.

Offline sandgrounder

Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 12:26:22 PM »
We bought a Sim card last week whilst we were out there. Marc from "The meeting Point" took us into Fethiye and the guy in the phone shop did the rest. It cost about £14.00 and each top up was £4 for 100 units. Once the new sim was in my phone I simply sent a text message back home with the new number. Every time I needed to top up the phone I bought a card (from any shop) and got one of our Turkish friends to "top it up" (the message is in turkish lol). Now we are back in the UK the Turkish Sim card is safe and ready for use again next time we atre out there:D

Russ and Jan

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 12:35:55 PM »
Seems like £14 well spent!
Got to be cheaper than using call boxes in the long run, and as you say it's all ready and waiting for the next time you visit.
Think we'll definately be doing the same.
Anne

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 14:22:55 PM »
Also if you use the cheap no's that are displayed somewere on the forum it will only cost 15p per min for your nearest and dearest to phone you,

One more thing your phone must be unlocked to accept the turkish sim card.

Ron

Offline farmer

Mobile phone Simcards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 16:32:38 PM »
I have to thank you all for the good info regarding mobile 'phones and simcards on this site. Ta.
Pauline and I went to our local "Phoneshop" with most of the questions you have asked and we were advised simply to get new cards fitted when we eventually get over to Turkey. There followed mass confusion and a great deal of laughter when the staff eventually asked to see our 'phones. What on earth are those? they asked when we produced our perfectly serviceable 5 year old Philps Savvy sets - the Manager was called and said he had been in the business ever since he left school and had never seen one before!
We've been advised to throw them away and get new phones before we leave the UK for good. We don't want to take pictures or play games on them - any advice as to what actually works out in Calis would be much appreciated.
regards,
farmer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf