Author Topic: Optician  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Jackds

Optician
« on: March 09, 2008, 12:23:31 PM »
Hi,

I am coming out to Turkey for 10 days at Easter and was wondering if the Turkish opticians are cheaper than the UK's. If they are, can someone recommend an optician and let me know if they turn orders around within 10 days.
thanks
Jack

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Optician
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 14:17:32 PM »
Ball park figure is about 50% of U K price.  I have Photochromic varifocals in memory flex frames with all the extra coatings on the lenses....cost me about £180
Turnround was a couple of days but a staight forward prescription can be turned round in hours! You can bring your UK scrip if you have one but not necessary they will take you to the eye doctor for a test. :)

Offline Jackds

Optician
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 17:57:15 PM »
Tribalelder

Thanks for the info.

My prescription is varifocals so should be simpler than your glasses and easier to make. Which opticians do you use and do they speak English?

Jack

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Optician
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 19:31:22 PM »
We have used three.......Gem Optik which were marginally more expensive and Alice Optik (Pronounced Alijay) opposite Carrefour in Fethiye and my daughter used one in Hisaronu whose name escapes me at the moment, but about half way down on the left hand side.  You will find that just about all the opticians in Fethiye will have someone who speaks English. :)

Offline Jackds

Optician
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 20:08:16 PM »
thanks for your prompt reply. I will give them a go Easter.

Jack

Offline Nicnic

Optician
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
Susand email me i have a brill optician

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Optician
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Susan I used the optician opposite Carefour/Gimma supermarket. They were fine and I they had no problem about understanding English. I had varifocals done to an English prescription with coatings and tints. The standard tint or preferred Turkish tint is green so you may want to have a different one ie blue or pink. It is only a  very light tint but pretty obligatory in a sunny climate and hardly detectable from the front. Also my UK optican told me the arms of the frame had been fixed at 90 degrees where as in the UK arms are  usually fixed at 87 degrees or is it at 93 degrees to take account of the tilt of the head. The reason why this was an issue was that my glasses were showing green blobs of refected light say street lights when I looked through them because of the mirror effect. However they adjusted them and these went away. I would use the same Turkish optician again. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 21:22:55 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline tillyfloss

Optician
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 13:06:21 PM »
Does anyone know of a good contact lens practitioner and are they cheaper than here?

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Optician
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 18:37:56 PM »
Cheaper I am informed ! Though dont go and get your eyes tested after an afternoon at the fish market! the only time my Dad can wear his glasses is when he's pi**ed! Although he did say the lady optician had lovely eyes! Well worth the £200 then!

Offline Jackds

Optician
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 20:27:55 PM »
Nicnic,

There is no contact details in your profile. Could you email me with the details.

tks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf