Author Topic: Avalon Funeral Plans  (Read 4420 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
Sorry ....posted twice. :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:46:28 AM by tribalelder »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 10:27:47 AM »
I would be interested to hear how Brian (Tribalelder) responded during the three phone calls in one day. Most particularly the third call  :)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
My significant other answered the 2nd and 3rd call and unlike me she is more polite.:D  Had I taken the third call I probably would not have been allowed to print my response on this Forum:-\

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 14:41:15 PM »
I've had an email from the editor of The Fethiye Times. He's spoken to the Head of Operations at Avalon and is going to print something about this on Monday 9th June.

Offline busybee

Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
Also had a landline call from them, when I asked the chap where he got our number from and he said "beleve it or not their is a phone directory". He wanted to visit and discuss funeral plans (lovely just the job to cheer you up).  Said I wasnt interested and had family visiting.  He then replied "will be in your area again in July will call again".  Like a dog with a bloody bone and very reminiscent of being back in England when double glazing people ring just as you are dishing up dinner!!  Told him we were happy to have a Turkish funeral and we dont want to be posted back home.   I understand that he has a job to do and some folk will be interested, but when you say your not interested they should have the grace to back off.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:13:09 AM »
From the Fethiye Times today

UK residents will be used to telephone 'cold calling' where a company rings your telephone number in the hope they can sell you a product. It started years ago with double glazing companies touting their products. But technology has now taken over with automated systems dialling hundreds of numbers at a time and playing pre-recorded messages.

For those that have moved to Turkey and have a phone installed the lack of cold calling is a real treat. However, according to emails we have received recently, people are starting to receive cold calls leading to speculation as to where the company has found their details.

So Fethiye Times contacted the company in question on behalf of readers to solve the mystery.

We thought we would uncover a web of the sale of private details, mailing lists and other details harvested from official and web based sources but we were wrong. Quite simply the company has used a free web based international phone book which links telephone numbers and addresses from all over the world. Type in an English name in a foreign directory and you're more than likely to find an English person at the end of the line. We tried it and it worked.

We'll cover such directory services later this week. But in the meantime, if your Turk Telekom telephone number is registered in an English name don't be suprised if you receive cold calls.

Offline ronzeus

Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 17:35:34 PM »
So,has any tried them and how did your funeral go  [xx(]

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 05:18:48 AM »
We're all dying to know.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 05:59:06 AM »
Sorry can't reply they did not put my computer in the box!:D

Offline minimoo

Avalon Funeral Plans
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 06:49:46 AM »
As far as I am aware, although there is no Data Protection Act in Turkey, The British Consulate is run by the British Government, and their staff are also employed by the British Government, and will therefore be obliged to abide by the Data Protection Act. I think it is much more likely they have obtained the details from Turk Telecom.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf