Author Topic: Buildings Insurance in Complexes  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Buildings Insurance in Complexes
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
Intersting article in the Fethiye Times this week see: http://www.fethiyetimes.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=viewid=1287itemid=112

We do ours through BARIS in town but we only cover own own apartment along with DASK cover.

It dawned on me (having just had to make a claim for a leak) that on our flat in St Anne's we pay a mandatory monthly management charge which includes Buildings cover so we only insure the contents.

So the question is - "if our roof over 9 apartments blows off - is it a shared responsibility to repair it or can we get building insurance seperately and charge all tenants according with their maintenance charges?

What do you do if you are living in a communal property?

Ian

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Hi Ian, I'm sure there was a thread back a while ago, about 'shared roofs & liabilities etc'.  

Perhaps someone might dig it up  :).

A bit off topic; I've been trying to contact Baris for a while now, not received any replies to my e-mails/text messages, I can't afford to keep phoning him... Could you let me know if you've had recent contact with him please?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:28:54 AM by cef »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
Cef - saw him Dec 31st and he was fine but I must admit I have not had a reply to an e-mail I sent him on Monday.

As regards the "shared responsibility" I just wondered how many actually take out buildings insurance and if so is it expensive - as if it is only £200 per annum - we should be doing it at only £25 each - but if it much more maybe the "norm" is to wait until the roof blows off and deal with it then!!
I will let you know through your profile if I get a response from BARIS as I will chase him again.

Ian  :)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
 :) Thanks Ian much appreciated.  Perhaps his new wife is keeping him busy  ;).

Funny enough, I think the fact that a roof had partly blown off!! raised the point before  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:21:47 PM by cef »

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 15:10:18 PM »
Hi Ian, As you know there are 9 in our block. We are all insured with Baris as it makes things simpler if we have to make a claim when if the roof blows off. Next doors apartments had their roof torn off in the hurricane last year and they were all responsible for the roof and they all claimed and were all paid out.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 17:38:01 PM »
Anne / Cef - thanks for comments - I may be being a bit thick (don't say anything) but I am making comparisons with the UK.

If I have a structural claim I make the claim off my buildings cover as has just happened at my flat in St Anne's where a leak under my bathroom ruined the ceiling of the flat below.

But reading the Fethiye Times article it says there are 3 types of cover: Buildings/Contents and DASK (no surprise there) and I am not sure IF the cover I have with BARIS is actually contents plus my walls and floors but nothing else.

Therefore I suspect we should have a seperate policy to cover structural damage to communal areas - stairways - paths - boundary walls - roofs - pool etc?

Sorry - go on tell me I am being stupid!!!!  :)

Offline beldibi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 19:32:18 PM »
At our 1st. meeting on our small Sitesi, we all voted that roofs were communal.  Therefore a shared responsibility.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 19:51:02 PM »
David - I agree with that approach - but did you then jointly take out a buildings cover policy - or do you wait and deal with problems as they happen?

Ian

Ps Mercury will be on any minute telling me "I am stupid and labouring the point" but I'm not honest - I am just trying to identify if anyone has taken out a dedicated buildings policy.

Offline beldibi

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 21:44:22 PM »
In Turkey the communal ins. issue/3rd. party liability, is not cut and dried.  Each of us have buildings, and contents ins..  We share the cost of roof/ communal maintenance, but in the case of a major disaster those in the upper duplexes, would pay via their ins..  Any increase in premiums would be covered by the site.
It is a pragmatic approach until local ins. gets it`s act together.  The site is approx. 50/50 Turkish, foreign.
Because we live here we can not use Intasure, who do offer 3rd. party liability, but only for holiday homes.
I am exploring communal insurance, paid through the sitesi.  I will let you know what I learn.  Please do the same.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 21:49:19 PM »
David - will do - if I find anything out I will e-mail you via your profile - thank you.

Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf