Author Topic: Open bank account  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Ziggy Pop

Open bank account
« on: March 07, 2009, 13:30:36 PM »
I want to open a HSBC savings account in turkey with £20.000, I have a savings and current account in england HSBC. I know i will need driving license,passport and tax number, do i just need my savings account details and debit card. to open the account and do the do the transfer of money from england to turkey.

Offline OvacikOldBoy

Open bank account
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 13:35:25 PM »
I think you might need your Turkish Tax Number.  You will be able to transfer money from the UK to Turkey using ISBN, you will obviously need HSBCs turkish SBN number, best to go into the branch in Turkey and sort it

Allen

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Open bank account
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 16:01:25 PM »
Last time I spoke to HSBC UK you could not simply 'transfer' money into a Turkish HSBC account. They do not allow it. You would have to go into your UK branch and ask them to transfer the money. Costs about £20 with Nationwide but not sure what HSBC charge.

Offline beldibi

Open bank account
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 21:14:40 PM »
HSBC is one name but different bank organisations, in different countries.  Though I do believe that there are some mutual advantages.

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
Open bank account
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:02:03 AM »
Hi, you need to be in Turkey first,visit the Maliye,(tax office).Take your passport and about 4 passport size photos.They will give you a tax number on a slip of paper.Go to your bank of choice and open a sterling account first.You can then transfer the money from your UK branch to your new account.You will need the iban code numbers of your bank/account etc.Do not use the old swift code system,the money will arrive eventualy but may get lost in the banks head office before it finds the right branch.Hope this is ok for you.I believe a single transfer from hsbc uk is still £21.

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
Open bank account
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »
Would there be problem taking cash out to Turkey? That is beside the obvious problems associated with large amounts off cash.

Offline cathy h

Open bank account
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:49:19 AM »
Three years ago, before we moved to Turkey, I tried to set up an arrangement with my existing bank (Natwest) to be able to transfer money to my Turkish account once we relocated. They insisted that to make an International transfer, I must go to the bank each time and complete the transfer form and present my passport, all to do with money laundering laws. To say the least, this might be difficult as I would then be living in Turkey! They insisted there was no way around this, without giving someone power of attorney in the UK.
I approached HSBC and opened an account with the express purpose of being able to transfer money to my Fethiye account once I was living here. I have had no problems at all and have made a few transfers. If you have a premier account with the branch transfers are free.
As far as cash is concerned, I believe that you are allowed to bring around 5000 GBP from the UK at any one time.
Cathy

Offline Ziggy Pop

Open bank account
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 15:19:26 PM »
A Big Thanks to everyone for all this good advise.

Offline IanK

Open bank account
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
Hi all, on the subject of Tax numbers, we were given ours by our developer - but not on an official document. Do we need some proof that these are indeed our tax numbers when we open an account ?

Thanks
Ian K.

Offline kevin b

Open bank account
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 13:25:00 PM »
You get a card the size of a business card from tax office which is stamped & has your number on it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf