Author Topic: Expat Healthcare  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expat Healthcare
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 23:07:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

We just pay for what treatment we need. The cost of healthcare with a reputable insurance company out here is really high. It cost me £70 for two xrays and a couple of examinations when I fell and hurt my elbow. The treatment my husband has received for various things has been excellent but we had to pay for it. The private prices are not as expensive as in England though.

I used to think that too, until you need something a bit more major than a couple of x-rays or other outpatient matters. When something serious comes along, costs spiral and you may well wish you had insurance.

Offline philrose

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

Where you could come unstuck is if you were very ill.  It might be better to have insurance then, but has anyone had experience of what the insurance companies do when you have to make a big claim?

Depends on the company and if they have an agreement with the hospital you use, if they do then you just have to show them the plastic card that they issue when tou take out the insurance and pay nothing. Otherwise it is a case of paying and claiming it back.
Yapi Kredi Sigorta have agreements with both Esnaf and Letoon Hospitals, Ak Sigorta just with Letoon.
The cheapest option for insurance is probably to opt for in-patient insurance cover only and pay for any out-patient treatment yourself.

Offline ex-cheltenham lady

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 15:05:59 PM »
We are with Yapi Kredi and have been for almost 3 years, excellent cover - they have different price tariffs, ranging from full to basic cover with an option for an excess amount or not.    Some treatment cover will only pay a percentage of the cost - worldwide travel is also included in this.   Our son was on our Policy and has since returned to the UK, he is still covered for accident, emergency etc there.    The premium decreases year by year if there has been no claim too.    There are many options to suit your needs.   Yapi Kredi Bank in Fethiye, english speaking staff - definately worth getting a quote.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expat Healthcare
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 15:12:35 PM »
Do they settle with the hospitals directly?

Offline philrose

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 15:38:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Do they settle with the hospitals directly?

Pay attention Scunner:D Yes, Yapi Kredi Sigorta have agreements with both Letoon and Esnaf in Fethiye ;)

Offline ex-cheltenham lady

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 15:48:29 PM »
Yes, absolutely, I had physiotherapy at the Esnaf last year.   They ask for your "card" check amount of cover (in my case physio cover was 80%).   I paid then paid the excess direct to Esnaf.    On a separate occasion my son (who did not have residency) damaged his knee - treatment at Esnaf, handed his "card" to them - no excess this time - payment made direct to Hospital from Insurance.   Only thing not covered were the Crutches.  80lira a pair - still have them if anyone needs LOL - only used once.

Offline Old Daffodil

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 16:20:19 PM »
Maybe I have it wrong but when I looked at good health cover out here with a reliable insurance company it was about three thousand a year.

Offline raynin62

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 18:45:20 PM »
My husband took ill last September. We had taken out insurance with Acibadem. I called a doctor first who said that he needed to be hospitalised and an ambulance was called. We arrived at the Esnaf and before treatment was started we were told that Acibadem hadn't renewed their contract with the Esnaf that year! We would have to transfer him to the Letoon or pay. Just shows that although you think you are covered, you may not be!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Expat Healthcare
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 18:49:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by philrose

Pay attention Scunner:D Yes, Yapi Kredi Sigorta have agreements with both Letoon and Esnaf in Fethiye ;)

Having agreements with people doesn't naturally follow that they pay! They could have an agreement on costs but the policy holder pays and claims back.

Offline philrose

Expat Healthcare
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 22:56:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

quote:
Originally posted by philrose

Having agreements with people doesn't naturally follow that they pay! They could have an agreement on costs but the policy holder pays and claims back.

My undestanding is that with Yapi kredi is that they will pay up to the level of cover of the policy that you have taken out. Obviously anything above and beyond that is down to the individual concerned.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf