Author Topic: Painkillers i.e. Ibruprofen  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Painkillers i.e. Ibruprofen
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »
To anyone new to visiting Turkey.   Painkillers can be bought in the chemists so much cheaper than the U.K.  A friend of mine came over yesterday and had bought some tablets for a pain she had in her neck (not me).  She told me how good they were.  I had a look at the packet they were 400mg Ibuprofen under a fancy name and cost £2.99 for 12 tablets.  I show her the ones I had bought in Turkey called Artril 400mg Ibuprofen and the cost was about 80p for a packet of 20 tablets.   We always bring home a few packets.

Offline amanda bullock

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Hi Jacqui,i always thought that you couldn't buy painkillers without prescription in Turkey so have always spent a fortune "stocking up".thanks for that.

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
You can buy antibiotics too for adults and kids all the usual ones you get back in the uk after a trip to the gp!! They have their own version of lemsip in different flavours at my local chemist here i pay 80p for a pack of nurofen:D
I buy for all the family back in london and have no problem getting anything I ask for.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »
Yes we stock up too, and usually buy some penicillin tablets and sleeping tablets.  The chemists opposite Carrefour, second one along is very good and the guy speaks perfect English.  I had had an ear problem which my own Doctor in the U.K. had treating with antibiotics.  I got the problem again on holiday and went into this Turkish chemist. I told him my problem and he told me I did not need antibiotics and gave me tablets to stop the dizziness I was getting it cleared.  It up immediately. When I went home I told my Doctor I had seen a Turkish Doctor about the problems (did not tell him it was a Chemist).  He said that the Turkish Doctor was quite correct and if I got it again he would prescribe the same tablets... which he has now done.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 14:18:14 PM »
You can also get your blood pressure checked for free at the same chemist's.

As a matter of interest, the price that's marked on packages of drugs in chemist's is the maximum price that the chemist is allowed to charge for them. This tariff price is set by the Turkish government. You'll often find that if you're a regular customer or buy a bulk order you'll be given a discount on the marked price. Can you imagine that happening in Boots?

Offline Firo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 16:30:03 PM »
When we were in the UK in May we bought loads of Parecetamol in Asda & Tescos 16p-23p per pack for 16 tabs. Much cheaper than here in Fethiye.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 16:36:19 PM »
The last time I tried to buy more than one packet at a time in the UK some spotty little "Saturday Boy" oik, told me that it was against the law for them to sell more than 16 paracetamols at a time. So, after I got my £19.70 change from £20, I went back and picked up another packet and made him serve me again. This time I used another £20 note for a 30p packet just to make a point.  :D ;):D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 16:37:26 PM by KKOB »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 17:43:55 PM »
You can buy two packs in Asda so spotty oik was wrong

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 18:04:54 PM »
The one thing you cannot get in Turkey is any codeine based tablets.  My daughter who gets a prescripton for this sort of tablet in the U.K. for migraine tried the Chemist in Fethiye by taking in the tablets she has. He told her there is no codeine in Turkey!
I don't bother with paracetamol which I know is cheap in the British supermarkets as it is renown for causing stomach upsets.  
The Fethiye Chemist does give us discount now he knows we are regulars.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 18:58:48 PM »
i buy pkts of buscapan nearly £5 here in england but only 2.56ytl in turkey
also buy talcid great indigestion tabs work really quick ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 18:59:23 PM by puma »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf