Author Topic: Language Schools  (Read 2024 times)

Offline cazza

Language Schools
« on: July 27, 2009, 18:23:46 PM »
Hi

I have a University Diploma and TEFL cert, and have been trying to decide where I want to live and work.  

After a trip to Calis Beach, the area has certainly made it onto my shortlist!  I know the work permit is a big issue, but I believe I have the relevant qualifications to get through this.

Does any members of the forum know any language schools in the Fethiye area.  I believe there is a new school opening, but was wondering if there are any more that would be worth approaching?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cazza

Offline BabaYard

Language Schools
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 18:47:42 PM »
Cazza, you might find this link and forum useful. Good luck!

http://www.daveseslcafe.com/
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=22

Offline Linda1953

Language Schools
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
To be honest Cazza you wont teaching get work in Fethiye or Calis because many have tried to get into the language schools in and around Fethiye and failed.  Some of these teachers came to Istanbul because of this - experienced teachers with years of teaching English behind them and with the full monty of quals too.   I tried. Every school I enquired at told me I had to be able to speak Turkish to teach English in a Language school in Fethiye they were just not interested in taking native speakers on and rely on Turkish English Teachers with dodgy pronunciation to teach students down there.    

There is a new English immersion language school opening because I got contacted but they are being picky about who they want and I guess they might be having problems opening due to the realisation that if you dont have a work permit in Fethiye and Calis then you CANT work and the jandarma will be sniffing around so I would not take the risk.  

Look on the net for Language schools and send your CV and email to them.

Offline cazza

Language Schools
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Thank you both for your advice.

I have checked out the links and they have quite a lot of helpful info.

Linda, I had noticed there was a lack of language schools in Fethiye advertising for teachers and I now know the reason why!  I certainly don't want to take the risk of working without a work permit, although I know a lot of teachers do it.  I think Turkey is definitely the country for me, so I will extend my search.

Thanks again to you both.

Offline Linda1953

Language Schools
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 15:55:38 PM »
Yes you are most likely right Cazza.  :D

Istanbul is an amazing place. I love it.   Plenty to do lots to see and you can find beaches. Fantastic nightlife.  So much music, culture you name it its up here. You can shop until you drop. All the designer shops are here. So many great eating places.  I never get bored there is always something to do.  Also there is a great International network of ex pats up here to. Im constantly meeting new people all the time.  :) You can travel to the black sea and surrounding areas for a bit of lush green.  Istanbul is near to Bulgaria and Greece if you fancy a jaunt over the borders. I wouldnt swop it for anywhere else! ;)

Living in Istanbul has changed my whole outlook on what Turkey is all about and I love it.  :D

I would only come to Fethiye or Çalis for a short break but now prefer to live in Istanbul.  8)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 16:03:53 PM by Linda1953 »

Offline cazza

Language Schools
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply Linda.

I hadn't even considered Istanbul until I read your reply, but I think you have sold it to me.  Another option I am looking at is Ankara, as a friend taught there for 3 years and loved it.  I think Istanbul might just win, provided I can find the work!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf