Author Topic: Mobile Broadband  (Read 4985 times)

Offline andrei

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 16:46:31 PM »
A friend of mine next to my property bought a Turkcell dongle in june at the turkcell shop in Fethiye.
Dongle with software loaded onto laptop,Sim card and 500 kontours loaded the cost came to 320 lira.
Over three weeks the signal was lost a few times and sometimes slow.
I have decided to have a landline installed and a wifi router fitted which should be more reliable and with the cost shared between the two of us cheaper.
as a note i intend to use the laptop also for viewing uk tv on bbc i player etc.

Offline simon7685

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 19:09:54 PM »
The 3 dongle is currently £19.99 but I think you can get it even cheaper on Ebay.

Offline farmer

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 20:13:05 PM »
Hi Andrei
According to the BBB iplayer site you can only download Television Programmes from it if you live in the UK. Radio programmes don't seem to have this restriction.
Do you know of a " Link " that works for the TV programmes?
regards,
farmer

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Mobile Broadband
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 20:18:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by simon7685

The 3 dongle is currently £19.99 but I think you can get it even cheaper on Ebay.

Go via Quidco for £11 cashback PAYG Mobile Broadband on three

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Mobile Broadband
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 20:24:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by farmer

According to the BBB iplayer site you can only download Television Programmes from it if you live in the UK.

Try BBC iplayer.   :D:D

quote:
Originally posted by farmer

Do you know of a " Link " that works for the TV programmes?
regards,
farmer

Go via a proxy.  :P

Offline farmer

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 20:32:29 PM »
Sorry Crabbit, typo error. :-\
BBC iplayer site still says TV downloads restricted to U.K.
regards
farmer

Offline simon7685

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 21:18:49 PM »
Nice one Crabbit, I sometimes forget about using the cashback sites, it's £11 on TopCashback too, or up to £100 for a contract depending on what you take.

Offline davewalsh

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 18:47:44 PM »
Looks like everyone has given up on this one but the essential query has not really been answered. In the UK, all the major mobile phone providers will give you a no contract deal for a dongle. You pay 10/12/20 quid for the dongle and SIM card, depending upon how you source it, and then you buy a mobile top up voucher and convert it, on-line into mobile broadband access. I use '3', it costs a tenner for a Gb per 30 days, you use it or lose it. If you don't buy any time, so what, no penalty, no payment. it's the most flexible deal you can get.

All I want to know is, do any of the Turkish phone companies offer a similar package yet, and does the coverage extend to Fethiye?

I am not interested in internet cafes, signing contracts, or using my British '3' dongle in Turkey. I would like to know if I can get the same deal as I get in the Uk in the Fethiye area.

Please, if you don't know the answer to my specific question, don't bother to post ... it will save a lot of confusion.

thanks.

Offline miaspyro

Mobile Broadband
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
so what part of the original topic was not answered? It has covered peoples experiences with both the use of Turkish and English dongles, and all knowledge of how they work has been passed on in an informative and straight forward manner.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Broadband
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
"All I want to know is, do any of the Turkish phone companies offer a similar package yet, and does the coverage extend to Fethiye?"

quote:

Originally posted by sunnyd

Vodafone are doing dongles now... they are contract for 12, 18 (or more) months, paying monthly. 1GB about 30TL per month and 3GB 50TL per month.
I know that Turkcell have now started too, but I don't know the prices.
If it's just for your holiday.... try to get to bars etc that have free internet access as Stoop says.

quote:

Originally posted by davewalsh
Please, if you don't know the answer to my specific question, don't bother to post... it will save a lot of confusion

If you don't want to bother reading the replies people kindly gave, don't bother to post, that will save a far greater amount of confusion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf